How much time should it take to learn a language very similar to your native language?

If the goal is to achieve at least a c1.

For example, my first language is Spanish, and i’m trying to learn Italian. The vocabulary and the grammar is very similar, and, in my opinion, it is going to take me about 4 months. (I’m beginning from scratch)

I might be wrong, and maybe I will need much more time, but that is my current opinion.

I would like to read the opinion of other persons

By the similar langages it’s enough to reach the level B2 under the condition of learning (first of all reading and listening) not less than 2 hours a day.

It will take longer than you think ,because with very similar languages it is often more difficult to let go of the sounds and structures of the language you are more familiar with. We often feel more secure with what we are used to. If you just let yourself go in the new language, at the risk of sounding foolish, you will learn faster. With totally different languages, everything is more unreal, more of a game. At least that has been my experience. I found it very difficult not to pronounce Portuguese like Spanish.

2 Likes

I think that the pronunciation is going to be the easiest part. My Spanish accent is very “neutral”, and I do not perceive differences in comparison with the pronunciation of a native speaker of Italian.

A lot of the vocabulary is very similar. For example, experiencia = esperienza

Maybe the problems would be related to the fact that Italian has a more complex grammar.

I think that input is enough for acquiring a language. This is what I’m doing in English. I make mistakes, but I think that I just need more input. I need to read more books and listen to more audiobooks.

For these reasons I believe that it is possible to learn Italian in four months.

I agree. I think it can be extremely deceptive to learners in these cases that there is such a difference between passive understanding and actual active ability. For example, if I listen to Spanish it feels as if I can immediately understand quite a lot - it kind of seems like modified Italian, so to speak. (Ditto Afrikaans relative to German.) But I have pretty much zero active speaking ability in Spanish or Afrikaans!

(If pushed, I reckon I might be able to say more in Russian than Spanish! Even though I’m still at a very low level in Russian there is nothing in my brain to interfere with it.)

Not just pronunciation but also verb conjugation.

4 months seems to be a reasonable time frame, if you work on Italian 3-4 hours a day.
Try to use the Scriptorium Method, from Prof. Arguelles : I find it very useful to learn a language closed-related to your own native language. In my case, I use it (very sporadically) to work on my Spanish, and it makes the process VERY easy.

I didn’t know the Scriptorium Method, but it seems to me a very useful technique. I’m going to use it. Thank you for that.

Depende de qué entiendas por “aprender”. Una vez te acostumbres a las principales diferencias y a algunos elementos de vocabulario diferentes (incluidos “falsos amigos”) entenderás muchísimo por escrito, con algo de práctica escuchando, como te da Lingq, también entenderás la parte hablada en no mucho tiempo.
Una vez consigas eso podrás empezar a hablar y te podrás hacer entender.
Es decir: entender mucho y hacerte entender no te llevará demasiado, a condición de que trabajes cada día. Unos meses es suficiente. Yo obtuve un nivel de italiano “aceptable” tras seguir el método Assimil a diario durante unos 3-4 meses. Presta mucha atención a las diferencias con el español y echa un vistazo rápido a un resumen de gramática y una lista de los principales “falsos amigos”.

Ahora, hablar muy bien, como un nativo y sin cometer errores ni “españolizar” demasiado lleva más tiempo. Para eso no hay mucha diferencia con un idioma en teoría “más difícil”, digamos año, año y medio de trabajo aproximadamente diario.

En resumen, en mi experiencia concreta como hispanohablante que estudia italiano:

• Defenderte, manejarte si mucho problema: 3-4 meses de trabajo más o menos diario con Lingq (más mirar algo de gramática, hablar con nativos, …)
  • Hablar bien, más de un año.

#Prinz_Jogi. It’s not a good example. Regardless of your intuitive feelings, the distance between English-Spanish/African is much larger than between Spanish and Italian. Especially in pronunciation and grammar.

Por “aprender” entiendo poder alcanzar al menos un C1. Me quedé con un A2 en alemán, y ya me he olvidado lo que aprendí del francés. Me gustaría que con este idioma las cosas fueran diferentes.

Voy 25 días aprendiendo italiano, y siento que ya he avanzado bastante. He tenido en cuenta lo de los falsos amigos.

Sobre la gramática, el único problema que tengo es que no he podido entender por completo las diferencias o equivalencias entre el congiuntivo italiano y el subjuntivo español. Sin embargo, no es algo que me haya impedido entender los textos, por lo cual lo he estado pasando por alto. Quizás me podrías dar alguna sugerencia sobre este punto.

Conozco un italiano con quien podría practicar, pero estoy actualmente probando la idea de que no es importante el output, y que se puede llegar a niveles altos sin conversar.

Mi táctica actual es hacer lo que hice con el inglés. Hay ciertos libros que he leído y releído en español. Luego buscaba versiones en inglés con sus correspondientes audiolibros. Pienso hacer esto en italiano, pero primero necesito aprender más.

C1, yo diría más o menos un año de trabajo constante, incluso algo más.

Diferencias principales en el uso del subjuntivo en español e italiano:
a) Los verbos de opinión en español solo suelen llevar subjuntivo cuando se niegan y (a veces) en preguntas, igual que en francés. En italiano, sin embargo, suelen llevar subjuntivo incluso en afirmaciones:
Creo que tiene razón = Penso che abbia ragione.
b) En subordinadas temporales de futuro, el español usa el subjuntivo. El francés y el italiano, el futuro:
Cuando llegue a casa, te lo diré = Quando arriveró a casa, te lo dirò.

Sí, privilegia la “entrada” pero para un C1 necesitarás hablar en algún momento y visitar el país también te vendrá bien. De nuevo, en el momento adecuado, al principio lee, escucha y estáte atento a las sutiles diferencias.
Mucha suerte, estoy seguro de que lograrás tus objetivos.

Más detalle sobre el subjuntivo italiano:

Incluye ejercicios

Te agradezco mucho todos los consejos. Voy a ponerle mucho empeño, y espero lograr lo que me he propuesto.

De nada, mucha suerte!

Ah, algo importante, las órdenes negativas, en segunda persona, no usan subjuntivo, sino infinitivo:
No te preocupes = Non ti preoccupare

Technique: 1. Read a sentence aloud 2. Say each word again as you write it 3. Read the sentence aloud as you have written it.

He also points out we can “use a variant of this exercise at the beginner level while doing translations by reading the English sentence aloud initially as well”.

We know from his vids that he also includes grammatical exercises and free composition, not just copying, under his own stats for Scriptorium. So we need not get hung up on the mechanics or what to include, but he does emphasise the importance of speaking aloud as we write especially.

(I was talking about GERMAN and Afrikaans…)

Oh, sorry

But your mother tongue is English, isn’t it? It would still not be an adequate example as it’s not Steve’s comparison about his Spanish and his Portuguese.
Learning a language very similar to your own is a huge advantage, at least to achieve a good command of the language (about B2). However, learning a language which is very similar to one you’re also learning [or, to a smaller extent, you already have a good command of] is rather a disadvantage: interference can be a real problem.