Any good talk show host/hostess for learning English?

Hi,

I’d like to try learning English from talk show hosts/hostesses.

Who do you think would be good to learn from? I’ve been currently watching Ellen Degeneres and Jimmy Fallon on Youtube. It is challenging to understand them at times, but I feel happy when I get their jokes. :slight_smile:

Thank you.

Hi.
The Oprah Winfrey Show - I haven’t watched her, but from what people say she’s incredible.
I can personally recommend TED Talks - not exactly talk shows, but there are some remarkable people sharing very interesting stuff. There are even some talks in the form of public lessons so you can listen or watch the video and read the transcript at the same time - Login - LingQ

Have a great day!
Greg

Stephen Colbert?

The Oprah Winfrey Show

I have listened to her interview on CNN, but have never watched her shows. I’ll check her shows out!

I can personally recommend TED Talks

Wow, LingQ has added more contents on TED to their Library since last time I checked. Thanks!

1 Like

I’ll check him out, thanks!

More TED talks here: Login - LingQ

Thanks, TroisRoyaumes!

The Late Late Show with James Corden.

England-born James Corden took the place of Scotland-born Craig Ferguson on this American late night talk show back in March (2015).

The format of the new show is more dynamic than other late night talk shows because James often interviews 2, 3 or 4 guests all together at the same time.

Here is a clip with James’s awesome band leader, Reggie Watts (Craig Ferguson never had a band on his show) asking Claire Danes “tonight’s question.”

James: Reggie, have you got a question for any of our guests tonight?
Reggie: I do. Tonight’s question goes to Claire Danes.
Claire: Whoa! Hi! Yes?
Reggie: Do you believe that artificial intelligence will be the beginning or the end of human civilization?
Claire: Do you know what? I actually took a class at Yale…
James: Oh, wow!
Claire: …called Computer Science and the Modern Intellectual Agenda, which was about A.I. and I have no idea.
Reggie: That is correct, Claire.
James: That is correct!

Check this skit out from last night’s show:

Well since you like Jimmy Fallon, did you ever check out David Letterman’s show? (retired this year, but there are tons of his stuff)

Thanks for the links, Bruce! I’ve started subscribing to his shows. I was happy to see John Stamos appearing on one of the videos because I have just finished watching all the seasons of “Full house” . :slight_smile:

Thanks, I will check his shows out too!

Good to hear, Yukiko. The entire Late Late Show episode with John Stamos, Julianne Moore and Jack Hanna as guests was fantastic. One of the best shows recently. I wish I knew where to find entire episodes for you to watch.

In the meantime, check out this clip from that show, where John, Julianne and James Corden do a skit based entirely on Taylor Swift lyrics. Hilarious!

(I can transcribe this clip for you, if you want.)

I’d love the transcript, Bruce. I watched it two times, but didn’t really get the joke. :frowning:

That’s understandable. I don’t know if you’re familiar with Taylor Swift. She’s a really popular young country singer, especially popular among young people. The joke was that everything that they said in the skit were the lyrics from Taylor Swift songs.

I’ll transcribe it for you in the next day or so.

Where you been?
I keep cruisin’. Can’t stop, won’t stop movin’. Baby, is something wrong? ‘Cause I’m only up when you’re not down.
Baby, I miss you, and I swear I’m gonna change, trust me. Remember how that lasted a day?
Look, we’re young and we’re reckless.
I knew you were trouble when you walked in.
I still love you.
Oh my god! Who is she? I get drunk on jealousy.
She wears short skirts.
I wear t-shirts.
She wears high heels.
And I wear sneakers. You know, I heard that you’ve been out and about with some other girl.
What you heard is true, but I can’t stop thinkin’ about you.
Just think, while you’ve been gettin’ down and out about the liars and the dirty, dirty cheats of the world, you could’ve been gettin’ down to this sick beat.
But you tell me that you want me and then you cut me down.
How can the devil be pulling me towards someone who looks so much like an angel when he smiles at me?
Darling, I’m a nightmare dressed like a daydream.
Shake it off.
Shake it off.
Shake.
Shake.
Shake.
Shake. I’m gonna shake it off.
This is it, I’ve had enough. We’ve got problems. I don’t think we can solve them. 'Cause baby, now I’ve got bad blood.
Hey, you know it used to be mad love.
But baby, now I’ve got bad blood.
What, so it’s gonna go down in flames?
Never mind, I’ll find someone like you.
I, I think that’s Adele.
Oh, it is!
Yeah, that’s Adele, yeah.
It is, sorry.
Good song, though.
It is a good song.
Really good song, really good… Can’t you see? I’m the one who understands you. Why can’t you see that you belong with me?
In your wildest dreams!
Wait! Marry me, Juliette! ‘Cause you’ll never have to be alone. I love you and that’s all I really know. I talked to your dad. Go pick out a white dress. It’s a love story, baby, just say yes.
We are never, ever, ever, getting back together.
James, I’ve been there too a few times.
Got a long list of ex-lovers, they’ll tell you I’m insane.
Players gonna play, play, play, play, play.
And the haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate.
So go and tell your friends that I’m obsessive and crazy.
Tonight’s the night we forget about heartbreaks. Dress up like hipsters and make fun of our exes. Because I don’t know about you, but I’m feelin’ twenty-two.
Yeah, it’s gonna be all right.
Grab your passport and my hand. I can make the bad guys good for a weekend.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for the transcript, Bruce!! I’ll look up the unfamiliar words and phrases in your transcript. You are so kind and always helpful!

Any good talk show host/hostess? No, in my opinion they’re all rotten. (However, some of those mentioned might help your English learning.)

Vocabulary word for the day: “Curmudgeon”

I think it depends on who the guests are and what kind of mood everyone is in. The entire Late Late show from Monday night with Julianne Moore was fantastic. Julianne was so sweet and everyone was great, even Jack Hanna. The show from Wednesday night with Jamie Lee Curtis was one of the worst shows I have ever seen. Jamie was so obnoxious and horrible and the entire show was a disaster. Her attitude seemed to have infected Sharon Osborne, and poor Elyes Gabel was caught in between, probably secretly wondering what the heck was going on.

vocabulary:
At the age of 42 Jamie Lee Curtis attained the status of curmudgeon-at-large. Now at age 56 she goes on live television to ruin late night talk shows.