Points expiration

I like this site a lot. I think it would be great if lingq could tell us when points will expiration. I would reather give the points to some then lose them.

2015-08-26 -500.00 Points expiration
2015-08-22 -291.00 Points expiration

2 Likes

Personally, I don’t see any good reason why do they have to disappear at all. When my points which I had bought by extra money (not as a gratis points) suddenly disappeared, I’ve just stopped to buy them. Although I’m fully respectful for founders of linq, that kind of things are very discouraging.

3 Likes

For me, points are like a strange form of demurrage currency that just wash away before I even realise I had them, let alone figure out what to do with them. This month for me:

2015-08-04 -1148.00 Points expiration

Nobody thinks that the LingQ point is reliable as a currency for the Exchange system. The deficiency in the function of ‘storing value’ is related to this issue. The after-90-days expiration rule should be abolished or lengthened.

6 Likes

You’re losing 33% value every month. It’s a form of demurrage charge. But at such a high interest, 400% annually, it loses all the benefits of a demurrage charge (for example encouraging use, turnover and “money” velocity). A 5% charge per month would encourage use and turnover, whilst protecting actual value.

I don’t participate in any “points” activity for this very reason. It’s a shame, really, because I would be more inclined to participate otherwise, and the argument “we don’t want people hoarding points” never made sense to me.

3 Likes

LingQ is an evolving project, slowly growing and constantly looking at how best to provide an ideal language learning environment for the greatest number of users and contributors, all of whom have different needs and expectations.

One of the features at LingQ that I enjoy is the availability of resources in our library. The confiscated points flow to the people who provide lessons in our library. I personally don’t think it is unfair to place a time limit on the points, especially since they can be donated to other members. If you sign up for a class at school you can’t just show any time you want, indefinitely, to participate in classes.

It is possible that one day our policy on how we generate content and reward content providers will change because circumstances will have changed. At that time we may also look at the points confiscation issue differently.

We are listening to your views but a number of things need to be taken into consideration before we make any changes. For now I suggest people make a point of checking their available points from time to time, or even scheduling discussions with tutors well ahead of time to ensure that points are used up.

Steve wrote like this:
“The confiscated points flow to the people who provide lessons in our library. I personally don’t think it is unfair to place a time limit on the points, especially since they can be donated to other members.”

I am interested in the following things:

1. How many points are “confiscated” every month? Do you think the amount is too large or so small that it is negligible?

2. Are you at this moment trying to minimize the amount of the “unused” points for the benefit of the members who bought the points, or maximize it for the purpose of giving them to the members who provide lessons in the library?

3. What percentage do the “confiscated” points occupy in the total resource for allocating points to the members who provide lessons? That is, how heavily is the “donation” to the content providers dependent on the confiscated points? If nobody “wastes” his or her points, does this cause any trouble to the comapany? Do you really and truly think that encouraging the members to use up all of the points they bought is important?

P.S.
Incidentally, have you noticed this issue?

“The confiscated points flow to the people who provide lessons in our library.”

I have already covered annual fees, so why do I have to pay again though…

1 Like

Yutaka, we’re looking into the ipad mini issue reported. I wasn’t able to reproduce it so I’ve ask the technical to have a look. I’ll give you an update as soon as possible. Thanks!

Thank you for your reply, KiranLingQ.

@ Steve

My feeling is that the point expiration stuff is a mistake. It discourages so many people from using the site. I think that a better system would be to abolish the point expiration and instead make the points more expensive. The extra money can be used to pay for points for the content providers.

Of course, this idea may look good on paper, but might not be practical in reality. Do you have any idea how much more expensive the points would have to be for this idea to work?

Maybe an even better idea would be to make the price for the full membership a tiny bit higher. In a way that makes sense because there is no real connection between buying points and using the content in the library. It is a bit strange that it is the people who buy points that have to pay for the reward for the content providers. I use so much content in the library and I never buy points.

3 Likes

“There is no real connection between buying points and using the content in the library. It is a bit strange that it is the people who buy points that have to pay for the reward for the content providers.”

This is a very important point. I wonder if the “confiscated” points have been the only source for giving points to content providers.

“Can I convert my points to cash?
Yes, you can convert points into cash but you will need a minimum of 10,000 points ($100) to do so. Note that a 25% commission will be withheld by LingQ when you cash out.However, there is no commission for points earned from referrals or sharing lessons.” Community Help

“A 25% commission” is also “confiscated” from the tutors who accumulate more than 9,999 points within three months. (This is not the case when you “share lessons”.)
I imagine that some part of the points “confiscated” from the tutors in this way is also used as the source for rewarding. (Of course, I do not know if the 25% commission is too high or too low.)

P.S.
“A new LingQ Membership level” A New Lingq Membership Level - Language Forum @ LingQ
This opinion should not be disregarded.
In principle, some members are supposed to pay $20 for 1,000 points($200 for 10,000 points).
(This exchange rate is at variance with the one applied to the cashing-out procedure mentioned above. This fact is very intriguing. )

2 Likes

“It is a bit strange that it is the people who buy points that have to pay for the reward for the content providers.”

There is very little points reward for content providers.

Most people provide content out of sense of giving something back to LingQ.

The points rewards to content providers is also weighted to give more return (on effort) to providing shorter simpler lessons rather than interesting, native level, decent length lessons. It’s just flawed all around.

LingQ would be a better business if it had a separate cost option around premium content, imo. There is also, possibly, cost effective opportunities for putting interesting native content onto lingq, cheaply and efficiently, that have never really been bottomed out.

This was one idea :

And this was an example of a result of that:

1 Like

Suppose that you get 10,000 points by paying the company 200 dollars with no discount and spend all the points within three months. If one tutor receives the whole amount of points from you, he or she can cash them, but must pay a 25% commission, that is, 2,500 points. Then, how much will he or she actually be paid in money terms? Only 75 dollars. You can see how 200 dollars changes into 75 dollars. More than sixty percent of the original 200 dollars accrues to the company.

Points, points, points… I’m ready for a good time… points, points, points… I’m read for your love

Imagine an apple, those are the points. When you book a lesson with a tutor you give that apple to the tutor. But before that apple gets to the tutor, Lingq bites 1/4 out of it, that is the 25% in “Lingq-taxes”. 15 minute conversations cost 500 points and the tutor gets 375 points.

The apple will keep moving inside Lingq and Lingq will get 25% very time “the apple moves” from student to tutor. The apple just keeps getting smaller and smaller and smaller. Lesser points “in the system” as time goes by.

If by any chance you want and can cash out your points, Lingq gets its 25% “Lingq-tax” AGAIN!!! (*)

5$ for 15 miniutes end up being … 2,81$ when they get outside Lingq. Almost half of it is “gone”. You end up receiving 56,2% from the 500 points the student gave to Lingq for a Skype conversation. I find 56,2% commission is WAY TOO MUCH, but maybe that’s just me.

No wonder why tutors are discouraged to offer conversations, huh?.

Lingq rules, they are entitled to do as they please. And they need to get money to run the website, of course!. Nobody is saying they should do this for free. Lingq has to be profitable, otherwise they’ll have to close the website. And we don’t want that. But I also believe Lingq could do things better and I hope some day they will.

Berta
IDEL, Spanish lessons at Lingq

(*)Except if those points are from the providers reward, then they are nice and don’t bite “the apple”, thank you Lingq!.

1 Like

“Imagine an apple, those are the points. When you book a lesson with a tutor you give that apple to the tutor. But before that apple gets to the tutor, Lingq bites 1/4 out of it, that is the 25% in ‘Lingq-taxes’. 15 minute conversations cost 500 points and the tutor gets 375 points.”

I did not notice this aspect. I only thought about the 25% commission in cashing the LingQ points. It seems that the points the members buy could be “confiscated” completely in the long run in the exchange or market system, without the notorious after-three-months expiration rule. What an “elaborate” system we have at LingQ! I wonder whether this “tax” is only applied to the “Speaking” service.

P.S.
1 :heavy_multiplication_x: ( 1 - 0.25 ) :heavy_multiplication_x: ( 1 - 0.25 ) :heavy_multiplication_x: ( 1 - 0.25 ) :heavy_multiplication_x: ( 1 - 0.25 ) :heavy_multiplication_x: ( 1 - 0.25 ) … = 0

1 :heavy_multiplication_x: ( 1 - 0.25 )

• 1 :heavy_multiplication_x: ( 1 - 0.25 ) :heavy_multiplication_x: ( 1 - 0.25 )
  • 1 :heavy_multiplication_x: ( 1 - 0.25 ) :heavy_multiplication_x: ( 1 - 0.25 ) :heavy_multiplication_x: ( 1 - 0.25 )
    . . .
    = 1

P.S.
According to Mike’s recent explanation, the exchanges of points between members are now free from the “commission” charge. I wonder whether this is related to the introduction of the notorious point-expiration rule, the date of which I am interested in. When was it?

All points from the exchange that you cash out have that commission.

“5$ for 15 miniutes end up being … 2,81$ when they get outside Lingq. Almost half of it is “gone”. You end up receiving 56,2% from the 500 points the student gave to Lingq for a Skype conversation. I find 56,2% commission is WAY TOO MUCH, but maybe that’s just me.”

(1-0.25)∧2=0.56
1-0.56=0.44
44% commission?

1 Like

“How does the Points Discount work?
The undiscounted price of points is $20 for 1000 points. Paying accounts will get a discount of 50% and will pay $10 for 1000 points.”

I believe that the points “discount” should be only for members who want to “buy” points. “Buyers” welcome any discount on condition that the intrinsic value is not changed. There is no reason for applying this “discount” when tutors cash the points they earned. “The undiscounted price of points is $20 for 1000 points.” I think this rule should be applied to the cashing-points procedure. Tutors should be “paid” according the original exchange rate, that is, $10 per 500 points.

Five hundred points should be regarded as ten dollars. This is the “fundamental” equation of the exchange rate. If five hundred points is regarded as five dollars by both the company and the tutors, getting a discount of 50% and paying “$10 for 1000 points” does not make any sense from the point of view of the paying members who buy points from the company. There is no real “discount” here.