I have to go beyond, but how?

I remember when I became a member at LingQ, in november 16/2010. At that time my only goal was simply to learn English, consequently I fell in love for learning foreign languages. The LingQ definitely opened the doors for employment, friendship and most important, I had experiences that I will take to the rest of my life. I know, I have a lot to learn, but after almost 5 years I really do not know how. After almost 5 years, I realize that I am a simple “advanced level” but that’s still not enough for my personal goals. I realize that I read, listen, speak and do not notice any progress, watch series with and without subtitles, but when I have to talk, it seems that I can only use 60%, 70% of all the vocabulary I learned. I would like to go further, speak with more confidence and really master English. Have you ever felt like this, what did you do to go beyond?

3 Likes

To really go beyond, you have to speak a lot. You have to put yourself into environments where everything is in English. You will do fine when that happens, although you may not be satisfied. Learn to live with what you have achieved, and recognize that only with a lot speaking will you get better, gradually. Learn to enjoy what you have already done.

2 Likes

I love this post. I’ve just started to correspond and Skype with another Lingq member and it has been a huge shock to my system. I thought that my Russian was not too bad - but when I tried to speak I was so bad - my grammar - my accent - my pathetic vocab - that I felt paralysed and then I felt like giving up. Having a lovely, encouraging language partner on the other side of the world, who is expecting you to have regular contact is very good - because I am forcing myself to keep going. I’m sure that there is always a great deal of pain before a breakthrough - so I’m crossing my fingers for a breakthrough.

3 Likes

I would agree with Steve here. It’s important to activate your passive vocabulary and you can do that by speaking or writing. The more the better. Set yourself simple and manageable goals: like speaking with someone English for 30 minutes a day and by writing a diary in English. Consistency is the key! I know your struggles very well and root for your success!

1 Like

Lucas, 60% is very good if you can use in the conversation so many words from your learned words.
There is always a gap between our active and passive vocabulary, even in our native language.
In fact, we know more words than we use in the conversation.
But of course, the percentage depends on your frequency of speaking.
For example, speaking in my native Russian I use maybe 70% of all words I know.
In German I speak not every day, so I use maybe 50% of my known words in speaking.
In English perhaps I can use 40% from all known words.
But in French that I speak rarely I use only 10% of all my passively known words.

3 Likes

That’s very encouraging Evgueny! So we shouldn’t worry if we’re not able to use every word we get right in the tests?

Yes, just enjoy your studying and do your best.

1 Like

Thanks everyone :smiley:

Hi Lucas,
Im in a situation similar like yours but in Ryssuan language.
Her is what im doing to go beyond and is working for me:

1. Like many suggested, talk a lot, best would be to be surrounded by only English speakers, but since that it might not be possible, you can find an exchange partner on Lingq or in internet (there are many webs for that) and the goal is to talk with him/her as much as possible. You need many hours of talking to your brain to automatize it… Also would be good to write texts or a diary, and submit it to correction to native people.

2. Use inverse translation. Nobody suggested about this , but though it requires discipline, i find is helping me to go beyond and to active my vocabulary quickly.

The way i do it: find bilingual texts (with audio better), the same text but in one side will be English, in the other side will be your native language (portuguese), and then while you are reading the translation in your native language, try to say outloud the same text on the language you are studying (English), then after every phrase check the text/audio in English to see if you are saying it right, listen the audio in English and check, did you pronounce the sentence the same? did you use the same words?

You can listen it again and repeat the phrases until you pronounce it the closest possible., better to choose short text for that. I repeat it translating the text (important to talk outloud) until the text i say outloud will be 100% identical to the original text/audio on the target language.

So while doing this inverse translation, and talking to natives… your English vocabulary should activate, also keep reading and listening, and eventually your English will improve, i guarantee you!