Help with my routine

Hello, I am Juan and I am new to LingQ, I am from Guatemala so my language from birth is Spanish. However, I started learning English from a very young age and I passed the IELTS test with a 9/9. Now my goal is to learn German (reach B1 level in 4 months) but I don’t know how to go about it, I recently found Steve’s Youtube videos and this page seems like a great tool.

Can someone please tell me a daily routine I could follow that should be getting me to B1 German in 4 months? I’ve got nothing else to do right now so I can dedicate as much time as needed to learning German, but how? Only using LingQ until I understand enough to read books and watch movies? What do I do on LingQ? If someone with experience could create a routine for me it would be greatly appreciated! (Basically what to do, in what order and for how long)

Cheers!
Juan

Good Luck Juan.

If starting from zero, I personally would go with the “old” Kaufmann method, ie starting out with a starter book, learning how the language works, and using it to mine simple content. Examples are Teach Yourself, Assimil, Colloquial, etc. After working on this material for a month or two (or less depending on how much time you have), you would then move onto LingQ, starting with the basic stories, lessons, etc.

Here’s a start: Language Learning - Starting From Scratch - YouTube

Now, Steve believes he might just use LingQ from the get go, and has done it more or less with his new languages (Ukranian, Polish, etc). Some his videos and/or blogs have mentioned this in the past few months.

Regardless, here’s a sample of his and others’ ideas for “Study Plans.”

3 Likes

Thank you! I didn’t know Steve had posted that, very helpful. How long do you think I should do the horse method every day? 2-4 hours?

It’s a good idea to have one little German textbook for referring.
But you can also start here in lingq.com.
Vera and I aa well wrote some German lessons for absolute beginners here.
For example, you can use my courses: Deutsch von Anfang an, Erste Deutschstunden für Ausländer, Kleine Dialoge and Schritt für Schritt.
Good luck!.. Viel Erfolg!

1 Like

Hi.
I tell you my experince. I´ve started on http://deutsch.info/ . There is gramma, listening, reading, some exercises from A0 to B1. This page is translated to all ( or almost all) languages. I have came throught this page in 3 month , during my final exams on med school. I have learnt how to German works and some basic vocabulary.
But I need more words , more listening and speaking. And that is the reason I am here .

Sorry for my gramma mistakes O:-)

1 Like

Vera es nativa! vas a encontrar muchas informationes y buenas lessiones.

Deutsche Welle:
http://www.dw.de/aprender-alemán/cursos-de-alemán/s-4640

j;-)

1 Like

Will do! Danke! With your experience, do you think studying 3 hours on my own and 1 hour (sometimes 2) with a tutor everyday would get me to B1 in 4 months? and which book would you recommend?

Gracias!

It’s a good plan. I teach my students 3-4 hours a day (Russian, German and English) and in 2,5 months it’s possible to reach B1 level in English, in 3,5 months in German and in 4 months in Russian.
But try to learn all aspects: reading+ listening+ writing+ speaking.

2 Likes

Wow, I didn’t know such materials existed!
Big thanks!

You might find this useful:

if you prefer English/German:

Thank you!

No prob. Yes, those study plans are meant to be executed during your study time. basically, it’s how you approach the language or a guide for what Steve calls “spending time with the language” (#2) on his list. In other words, it’s every day during the 1-1.5 hours/day you spend on language. That’s for “regular” folk. If you’ve got more time, then you’ve got much more time per day. That being said, I might dial back to the writing for a quite a long while.

Regardless, if it were me, I’d probably read through a beginner book/starter book/grammar book, etc. (similar to evgueny’s advice too) and then do the Horse plan minus the writing portion

Don’t forget that B1 includes conversation and writing.

Step by Step!!

A1
A2
B1…

j:-)