Question for LingQ Android users

Hi guys!

We’re working on the finishing touches of a new way to manually select words and phrases in lessons and save them through the app. We’re close, but before we seal the deal we want to solicit some of your feedback.

After selecting text in a lesson, a menu will appear at the top with an “X” on the left (to cancel the selection) and an icon/text on the right to confirm the selection and show the blue popup.

We’re wondering what you, as an Android user, think is the best option for this icon/text to make it clear what this does:

1. a magnifying glass icon
  2. the outline of the LingQ logo
  3. the text “Define”
  4. the text “Add LingQ”
  5. something else?

Here’s a screenshot of what it looks like now. We’re still refining some elements, and this selection confirmation bar will appear overtop of the standard menu bar in the final version.

We’re curious to hear your feedback though - if you saw a magnifying glass, would you expect the blue popup to open when you tap it? Do you think something else would do the job better?

If I saw the magnifying glass, my first thought would be that it would make the text of the lesson bigger.

Maybe a tiny dictionary icon? http://www.candlecharts.com/sources/icon-glossary.gif

Thanks for the feedback, Jingle and antom! We’ll try another icon here that might make it clearer (or at least make it less confusing!).

Maybe add a book symbol.

Yeah, if I saw the magnifying glass, I would think ‘zoom.’ I have a Note 4, so I have plenty of real estate for reading. :stuck_out_tongue:

Good to know! :slight_smile:

Selecting a group of words that from a phrase is definitely the best possible idea. We learn a language by phrases rather than by single words after all. This is exactly what I needed… .:slight_smile:

Having said that i think the best option is the option no. 4. Creating Lingqs is what this site is all about and “Add Lingqs” will be immediately understood by all the users, with the interface as simple as possible.

I had some other thoughts; perhaps let me be able to select text that isn’t a blue word or be able to see the ‘translation’? There are times I would like to see to the translated script or a word I already ‘know’ but I forgot the definition.

Same here

Thanks for your feedback, everyone! The manual selection feature is now in the latest version of the app, so you can press and hold on a word and adjust the borders to select a phrase.

I’m curious to hear what you all think of this feature! :slight_smile:

I haven’t used it yet, but it sounds great!