Portuguese for Portugal?

I am trying to learn European Portuguese in anticipation of an upcoming visit to Lisboa. However, my beginner lessons seem to be quite different than what I have learned from other sources. Is this course Brazilian Portuguese?

If you check the right hand side of your library you will see “show more filters”. Click on this and you will see a Tag cluster. Choose “European” and you will find content from Portugal.

Unfortunately after the last update content providers will often forget to set this tag :frowning: Before it was a separate search field. Now it is mixed up with the other tags.

And learners will not figure out easily that this tag for filtering exists.

Even more worse is that only the most popular tags are shown. For example is the tag for “Swiss” in the German library not shown, but I know that lessons with this tag exist.

What course exactly are you referring to?
I have several courses for beginners in European Portuguese, please check my profile.

Hi Steve, I suppose you mean “left hand side”, but I’m afraid the filters don’t work. All my lessons have the tag "European " and “europeu” and either they just don’t show up, or sometimes there are also Brazilian courses on the list that is generated.

Sorry, I meant left hand side. I also agree that this solution is not ideal. We hope to get around to improving the library in the near future.

European or Brazilian portuguese is not different languages hehe :smiley:

I must say that I agree with TBP. I used both Brazilian and Portuguese and enjoyed them both. It is useful to be able to understand both accents and the vocabulary is essentially the same. It is only if we want to focus on one accent in order to imitate it, because we are going to live there, or like that accent, that it becomes important, from a learning perspective, to select out one particular accent. Of course, it is also a matter of what we like to listen to, and if prefer one or other accent we may well want to focus on that accent. I found that sorting by European worked quite well. I would like to hear from timmercer on this.

@TheBrazilianPolyglot, @steve
Sure, it is the same language, but with so many differences that it might be confusing for beginners if they don’t know which variety they are studying. The accent is different, syntax is different, vocabulary is different. There are different words for the same objects, and there are common words that have different meanings in both countries. Portuguese in Brazil had the influence of local languages and so was enriched with vocabulary that is not used in Portugal, for example.
I found this article about the evolution of Portuguese in Brazil: Linguagem - Cultura e transformação

If a learner wants to spend some time in Portugal, or if he is European and so, he’s likely to come to Portugal someday, it seems to me more natural that he learns European Portuguese. Or if you are at an advanced level, I think it is ok to study both varieties, but I think it might be confusing to mix them at an early stage, you will end up mixing accents.

1 Like

I am so new that I hesitate to post! It’s just that I have really committed to learning Portuguese in anticipation of our return to Lisboa next April. My wife, two daughters and I spent three wonderful days there in the spring and was simply carried away with all that we encountered!(I could write a piece for their tourism publication!). Anyway, we are carrying my sister and brother-in-law with us and I am determined to be at least conversational. So…some of the beginner courses use voce instead of tu and use the ‘s’ sound instead of ‘zsh’. I understand that it will be worth learning both, but I be entertaining in Lisboa folks who will be depending on me! Love the site, by the way, and am so pleased that it was so highly recommended on another site!

I agree to a certan extent. If your intention is to learn the language with a focus on reading and having a general understanding of written and spoken texts, then I think you’re safe mixing it all up, but if you want to reach a good conversational level, then you’re probably better off sticking with one of the accents, until you’re at a more advanced level.

I suggest you go the library and open the “show more filters” area. go to Providers and select “mfr”. These are lessons created by Fernanda, (see above on this thread). Her material is great and starts with beginner material. She has even obtained permission to transcribe and share content from podcasts for when you reach a more advanced level. You should also contact her to take some on line lessons with her. She is an excellent and experienced teacher. You could hardly do better.

Thanks so much, Steve, for your “recommendation letter”. Very kind of you! :slight_smile:

I usually think of as English Canadians and Americans against the British English, the same language, the same words, both talk without problems. If a beginner put in your mind that are different languages​​, this student will have many problems. I know because I already went through this. But if you teach them that it’s the same language and regardless of what he wishes to improve, he will be able to reach his goals, communicate, understand and be understood, this student will learn happy, will not have many problems, and will have an open your mind. my opinion!