Excited! Finally some lightbulbs going on!

Today was the first time I felt like I could read some Japanese and have things “click.” I felt like I was actually reading something… instead of going word by word and trying to figure out what the heck was going on. Granted, it’s さるかに合戦 (Saru Kani Gassen) and just a kid story, but it still felt like a big deal to me. Just a weird feeling to be going along and all of a sudden… reading sentences. Especially cool- knowing enough words that I could figure out some of the unknown ones via context, but not only that… just starting to get a bit of an intuintive sense of how the sentences are generally structured and a feel for how the language functions. I still think Japanese is just so interesting. Call me crazy, but I just love the structure and the particles. I love that the particles tell you exactly what the role of the word is.

5 Likes

Hi Kelly,

This is great for you!!
I’m struggling with Japanese (much more so then with my other languages), so I’m hoping I’ll get there one day!!

-Miri

The first time I was 5 minutes into watching a foreign drama and realized the subtitles weren’t turned on was a landmark moment. :slight_smile:

2 Likes