How many times does everybody read/listen your lesson?

When I read/listen my lesson, I always try to imagine the meaning of the words in mind. And I read/listen my lesson many times. Usually, for about 15-20 times. But I can’t feel yet my English is improving. And I often forget the words.
How does everybody keep the words in mind?
How many times does everybody read/listen your lesson?

I personally don’t listen to any lesson more than twice, and usually just once. I prefer to listen to lots of different content once than to the same stuff many times.

2 Likes

This may not answer your question, but I will share my experiences.

I’ve found a combination of reading, listening, and writing are helping me learn the basics of the languages I study. The time spent on reading/listening/writing depends on the language I am learning. Everything about French is rather difficult so when I study it, I spend an equal amount of time reading and listening to French. I download the French pdf and mp3 audio files so I can read and listen to them offline.

Reading German is not too difficult. Understanding German is a little more difficult so I listen to German more than I read it. I have LingQ mp3 audio and Deutsch Welle audio downloads on my mp3 player, and I listen while I am doing other things. I have the LingQ app on my phone so I do a few flashcards or read a lesson when I have a few spare moments.

I like to write in English and have found I like to write in the foreign languages I’m studying. I try to write a short, simple French dialogue each week and use the simple LingQ dialogues as models. Since German is not so difficult I try to be more creative. Sometimes, I write about things I’ve listened to or read. This helps me remember what I heard or read.

Most of my German listening is not done on the LingQ website, and I spend more time listening than I record on LingQ. It is probably over three or four hours most days because I often listen while I am doing other things; cooking, walking, or driving. I can listen to and learn German while doing other things. I cannot do that with French. I have to concentrate 100% to retain anything I want to learn in French. This is probably the main reason I don’t spend more time studying French. I have to concentrate so hard to learn it.

I think one of the reasons I learn German differently from French is because I was raised in a German-speaking home. I don’t remember much of that childhood German because it is still hiding somewhere in my brain. Thankfully, little bits keep coming out of hiding every day!

Like Elric, I listen to lots of different content.

1 Like

@Elric @defrno thanks for sharing your experiences! :smiley:

I like to listen the audio of Deutsche Welle, too. Especially I like “warum nicht”. It’s interesting though I can’t read German yet … :slight_smile: it sounds very fun for me. I like ö sounds.
I usually learn English after getting home from my work. And listen mp3s on my ipod touch or PC at the late night time. I am also using flashcards on Quizlet.com.(for the Eiken test)
<< I try to write a short, simple French dialogue each week and use the simple LingQ dialogues as models.>> ← I am going to try to do in English in the same way!
I feel that people on here LingQ are using language very fluently even though it’s not their mother tongue. I want to improve my English like them :)) So to hear someone’s experiences is so helpful for me :)))

I tend to listen more often at the beginning, and then less and less frequently. The benefit is cumulative in my experience, and you need not expect to remember the words of a particular lesson, but eventually as you continue listening and reading, the words will start to stick, and your sense of the language, and understanding will improve.

1 Like

Even when I didn’t study regularly, I listened every days German podcasts, such as Deutsche Welle. It is a very good site where we can find many audios, videos and texts according to our level. I like “warum nicht” and also the story for beginners “Radio D” :slight_smile: I listen at least an hour every day several kind of audios. I enjoy it and find it useful.
@Defrno, it was difficult to me at the beginning to get used to German and catch some words even though I had learned them and could understand them by reading. If you listen to some of your old lessons you studied, you might notice that you understand better now :slight_smile:
@Chamy7, good continuation and enjoy :slight_smile:

@steve Hi! Thanks for your advice :))) Yes, I’ll keep plugging away at my lesson until become proficient my English. Many people here on LingQ, make a great effort to master the language. It’s impressive! :smiley:

@leie92 wow, you also like it? :D:D:D yes, its programs are really interesting and very nice! I can visualize the images of German words easier.
I am going to learn English much harder (everyday!..probably) but I will enjoy it :)))

This post really helped me. I’m from New York City… Kinda new on this LingQ thingy. I’m trying to learn French but I just started and since I know Portuguese already makes much easier. Now I know how many times I have to repeat and also read the lessons thanks to your comments (and your question of course). Thanks for your help :smiley:

I think the DW podcasts like ‘Top-Thema’ are great for building vocabulary and practising listening to clear well-pronounced German. But I find as I move further away from beginner I can’t listen to them too many times, as the ‘sterile’ voice tunes me out more quickly. So now I find I listen to those ‘newsreader’ podcasts only a couple of times. I prefer listening to interviews now, where there’s back and forth, and more idiosyncrasies with the voices (even if I can only understand a smaller proportion of the content). Not sure if that’s more efficient in terms of retention but at least it’s more enjoyable. DW is great though. The ‘Alltagsdeutsch’ series I’ve recently started delving into I really like because it goes into more depth, includes natural voices/interviews, but still provides a transcript.

1 Like

I usually just read the text and listen to the audio once or twice. If the text is too hard I lose interest and want to find a new one. If it’s too easy, then I’ve gotten the message and find it boring to re-read. When the text is “lagom” (as we say in Sweden) - not too hard, not too easy - I’m satisfied with having read it once and am eager to find new material. I believe it’s more benificial to consume new material rather than to indulge in the same text over and over again.

2 Likes

There are two quite different opinions about this topic.
Some students prefer listening\reading only 1 or 2 times and then they are going to a new and new stuff making numerous lingqs. They hope that by several repetitive appearances of these new words they will be able to guess them.
Other students don’t go ahead untill they know all new words and they have to repeat the same text a lot of times.
I think the best solution is between these two extreme positions - we have to listen\read 5-7 times by the beginning of learning of the new language and 3-4 times by the level Intermediate and higher.
The most important words yuou can remember by such an attitude and omit some less popular words.

1 Like

I’m Annie from Swit. I’m trying to learn Chinese in Hanbridge mandarin but I just started. Now I know how many times I have to repeat and also read the lessons thanks to your comments. This post really helped me. Thank you.

As they say: One shoe doesn’t fit all !

You are right that there is 2 extremes positions: learning lessons by heart or flipping through them…
But the good way is not necessarily in between. Every one has to follow his felling, the way he is wired…

For those who “need” to listen by heart… why not… even if I’m personally not convinced it’s the good way, at least it’s not for me who get bored pretty fast…

1 Like