How many of you enter Terms in the Vocabulary page

I wonder how many people are aware of the various useful functions at the Vocabulary page such as the ability to enter words and list of words to your vocabulary database there.

I think the only reason I would use it is if I had trouble with the import csv list function. I think there are least 2 other ways of “enter(ing) words and list of words to your vocabulary database” that are more convenient: import csv list, and import bookmarklet + Quick lingQ.

I’m not a fan of vocabulary lists. So I don’t use this very often. Usually I create LingQs from the Text I’m reading. This is the best way for me to learn new words.

When I am reading a book I use to write down every unknown words I come across. When I end my reading I get to enter all of them as list of words to my LingQ vocabulary database by using this function. It has been a very useful tool so far…

I seldom enter terms directly on the vocabulary page.
Only if it’s not possible to enter them within a text via “LingQing”.

But the vocabulary page is quite important to me.

I often download vocabulary to use them in other (standalone) programs.
And I often set the status of terms on the vocabulary page.

Normally I work this way:
Read, listen and do the LingQing of a lesson. The new vocab has status 1. Now I select all status 1 terms and check just by looking whether I know a term. Those are set to status 4. The rest must be learned (somehow) and is set to status 2. After this the list of status 1 vocabulary is empty.

I don’t like LingQ flashcards very much, so I use them very rarely.
Sometimes I use the cloze test only on status 2+3 terms.

Normally I just go on reading and listening and hope that I will learn status 2+3 terms through repeated “reviewing” in texts. From time to time, I check the list of vocabulary with status 2+3. If I know something easily, I set those to status 4.

If I find during reading a text that I don’t remember a status 4 term, I set it back to 2.

So my terms have one of the stati:
1 - new – check them and set them to either 2 (not known) or 4 (known).
2 - unknown – must be learned
3 - went up during cloze test or flashcard test, but still not known very well
4 - known

I do this very rarely for a word or phrase that sticks out in my mind when I am listening to something without a transcript, away from the computer. If I remember the word when I come back to the website, I put it in. I used to keep a written list of words, but I found that I never put them in when there were more than 1 or 2 words.

So far I haven’t found the need to use the function on the vocabulary page to add new words I want to import. My new words are usually already in a file as a list ( in Word or Excel) and I use the import lesson function to bring them into LingQ. I find this very convenient and as I look though the imported list , I make LingQs for any new words I haven;t already met. Also, this allows me to identify where these words came from by using the source name in the lesson description. But I think the function to add terms on the vocabulary page is worth having in case you don’t need to make a lesson out of it.

Its interesting how everybody has a different way of learning, I like the LingQ flashcards and I always go through them after a lesson to try and get some familiarity with the new words as a first pass. Then I read and listen to the lesson again a few times before I move on to another text. I do then forget many of the new words and with the less frequent ones its often a long time before they come up again. But sometimes , almost immediately after learning a new word I hear it used in conversation and then it does really stick in your mind.

My approach is similar to that of aybee77, my sporadic entries tend to come from reading rather than listening, though.

“I do this very rarely for a word or phrase that sticks out in my mind when I am listening to something without a transcript, away from the computer. If I remember the word when I come back to the website, I put it in. I used to keep a written list of words, but I found that I never put them in when there were more than 1 or 2 words.”

Thank you for all the feedback.

Hi everybody,
I have a big problem. I can’t correctly import words from Excel. I use the CSV format separate by “;”
Exemple: Car; voiture; My car is blue (each word is in a column in excel) but only the first word is imported in the LingQ! Why?
Sorry for my bad English! I hope improve it quickly :slight_smile:

@Garnavault - You should actually replace the “;” with a “,”. Hopefully that should work better for you! :slight_smile:

@alex- Thank you! I am going to try with a “,” :slight_smile: