Japanese Learning Journey Tips Using LingQ

Hello Everyone!

I’m learning Japanese and this is my first time using LingQ as a resource.

I have been learning Japanese on and off for several years. I started doing a self-study using other language learning apps and then took 4 semesters in college. While I did learn some things, I wasn’t comfortable speaking it well and I did have trouble grasping a lot of the kanji characters. I tried going through James Heisig’s Remembering the Kanji but stopped around 800 characters because I was overwhelmed with Anki reviews.

It’s been a few years since I stopped learning Japanese.

I want to try learning Japanese again. But I would like some tips.

1. Which course should I complete first?
  2. How to implement Kanji learning in LingQ?
  3. Is it possible to import Manag into LingQ?
  4. How to utilize flashcard reviews? Can I review sentences only?
  5. Is it possible using a monolingual dictionary (Japanese to Japanese dictionary) in LingQ?
  6. Besides Netflix and Viki, any site recommendations for Japanese movies and dramas?

Regards,
Jennifer

3 Likes
  1. I don’t think there’s a correct answer for this. Find something that you can understand to a reasonable extent and subject matter that is engaging to you.
  2. You can absorb fair amount of kanji on Lingq by just doing a lot of reading. The most common ones will stick once you’ve read them enough. I find it’s also good to do anki reviews (character + meaning + common readings/vocab) to supplement your lingq-ing. Wani-kani is another decent option. I know a lot of people swear by Heisig but his method of makes no sense to me.
  3. Don’t know what that is sorry.
  4. I prefer importing to anki and finding my own example sentences. The sentences that lingq gives you often don’t make sense out of context.
  5. Yes I believe so.
  6. Animelon is great for anime
    https://animelon.com/
2 Likes

Thanks. How do you import to anki?

Go to vocabulary and check the vocab you want to transfer to anki. Then click “export” under “more actions”

1. Which course should I complete first?
    Mini Stories 1-20, Meet Emma, Eating Out

2. How to implement Kanji learning in LingQ?
    Keep reading. Then read some more and you’ll recognize common Kanji.

3. Is it possible to import Manga into LingQ?
    If it’s in text format or PDF format, yes. But the PDF must be text based, it won’t work if it’s formatted like an actual manga with pictures etc. I personally haven’t found Manga websites that are text based, though.

4. How to utilize flashcard reviews? Can I review sentences only?
    You can review every-time you finish a lesson, or once a week. It’s up to you. Yes, you can save phrases and review those phrases (aka sentences). You can also export your vocabulary that you’ve saved (aka LingQ’d) into Anki if you want.

5. Is it possible using a monolingual dictionary (Japanese to Japanese dictionary) in LingQ?
    Yes, you need to change your settings in your reader. When you open a lesson (desktop), click the top right gear icon and change your dictionary.

6. Besides Netflix and Viki, any site recommendations for Japanese movies and dramas?
    Besides the sources mentioned, you can import content from YouTube, Animelon.com, and Anisub.tv - The good thing about Anisub is you always get the audio too (from my experience anyways) as well as translations (most of the time) and of course, the text. Animelon, YouTube, you may get the audio, you may not…but you always get the closed captoins/subs when importing into LingQ.

I made a video that might help you, good luck and welcome to the club! - YouTube

1 Like