You don't have

You don’t have be rich enough for enough happiness.

Question: Should I add “to” in front of “be” in the sentence?

Thank you!!

Yes, you need the “to”. The sentence still seems awkward. What are you trying to convey exactly? That you don’t need to be rich to be happy? the “for enough happiness” in the context seems not quite right depending on what you are trying to convey.

I saw a picture above and there is a caption under that. I hope that will make sense.

It makes sense. It’s trying to be a proverb and play on the “enough”, but sounds a little awkard (even with the “to”). I get what they are trying to indicate though. You don’t have to be rich to be happy. Having a loving family around you is wealth.

1 Like

How can you have a loving family when there is not enough monetary means to bring food on the table and provide the basic necessities of life to the kids? That is a recipe for a having a dysfunctional family… Anyways, I digress

Yes, a family needs enough resources to provide food and other basic necessities, but a family does not need to have an over abundance of resources (i.e. rich) to have happiness.

3 Likes

Either “You don’t have to be rich to be happy.” (adjective)
or “You don’t have to be rich to have happiness.” (noun)

have to
need to

These need the “to” by itself or with an infinitive.

2 Likes

Hi Lilyyang,

I mentioned this to you before
…to be honest, it feels like a million times
…though it might have been only once or twice
If you want to improve your English you really need to use native speaker material and not the videos you watch and now pictures with such captions.
Why fill your mind with good stuff mixed with rubbish?

“You don’t have be rich enough for enough happiness.”
No native English speaker would ever say this!
It’s wrong!

Note the examples below that you’ve been given.
I’ll take the first one:
“You don’t have to be rich to be happy.”
Perfect!

Here although Mycroft didn’t point it out, you’ve actually got two instances of “to” in that sentence.
First of all there’s “to” before “be” just as you asked, and then as pointed out by Mycroft, you say “to be happy” or “to have happiness”

You don’t have TO be rich TO be happy.

Unfortunately, even if you add “to” in the example you give, it’d still be wrong.

“You don’t have TO be rich enough for enough happiness” doesn’t do the trick.

Happy learning :slight_smile:

^^ just trying to persuade you to use better material! ^^
Great that you notice such errors :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you very much for reminding me again, Maria2.
Actually, I didn’t use videos or pictures to improve my English.
I just randomly found some English that I don’t get it or some sentence structures that conflict with what I’ve learned.
Besides, I don’t think my English is not good enough to tell if the material is from native speakers.
That’s why I asked some awkward questions to you here.

2 Likes

Don’t worry too much, as your English is getter better and better!
…and it will continue getter better and better!

It’s great that you’re so eager to improve your English! Practice makes perfect as the saying goes :slight_smile:

Native English material is always the best choice - and finding such material is easy today thanks to the Internet - read what Australians read, or what Americans read, or New Zealanders, Canadians or Brits.

All I am recommending is that you do not fill your head with material you just randomly find - you’ll end up not being able to make head or tail of it

You don’t need to spend time thinking about the text of a random picture you find on the Internet, but it’s up to you.

Each to their own!

3 Likes

… nutella :frowning: