How do you learn English?
A couple days ago I had the chance to chat with Steve and Mark about some new ideas they’re developing.
Actually they’re not new ideas; they’re refinements or improvements on what The Linguist already does.
How does someone learn a new language such as English? Fundamentally, the process we use at The Linguist is very, very simple.
Here are some useful tips on how to learn English:
- Pick a topic you are interested in (for example, sports)
- Listen to native speakers, again and again and again
- Identify words and phrases you don’t know, and find out what they mean
- As you learn more, start to read and write in English
- Talk to native English speakers and learn even more
- Measure your progress continually
If you think about it, this isn’t too much different than how a baby, any baby, learns a language. Essentially, what The Linguist website does is guide you through that process very easily, very painlessly, and very quickly – without all the diapers and crying.
Steve and Mark are working on some improvements that will make the process even simpler and easier … and Steve discusses some of these thoughts on his personal blog.
Check it out!