Google image

Many people, me included, use google image to illustrate content items. In all likelihood we will not ever be noticed. However, to be safe, it is best to contact the website that is identified as the owner of the image. It is also an opportunity to make them aware of us. It might attract some welcome attention.

I will tell you this true story:
One people took a image from a google page, not the hole image, she took a pieve - an apple - because she want to use it for ilustrating her cooking recipe.
Then came the hammer - she had to pay more than thousand Euro for this and this was the reduced prize after taking a lawer.
It is only one situation I could tell you more.

Very often the images have watermarks the user cannot see. But there are special programs who search in the Internet for this images.

Therefore my warning be careful and look for the written (!!) permission.

When will we have an edit function *grrrrrrrrr
an image / whole image / she took a piece

Hi Irene.I’m a Japanese tutor, Hitomi.
Oh dear. The person took an image from google page and then sued?
That is a scary story indeed…
I erased all my images for the time being.

Does anyone know the place I can go to get free, safe-to-use images?
any suggestions?

To be safe, it is best to contact the website that is identified with the picture we want to use. I will make up a letter than you can copy and send. I will discuss this with Mark.

Hi Hitomi,
the best way is to take the pictures self :slight_smile:
To take photos is one of my hobbies and when you need a special image you can write me, perhaps I have one or I can do it.
My email is ikewiba@googlemail.com

sorry, I was in the working area and there I have no picture :slight_smile:
Irene

Hi everyone,
I just want to mention a website that offers “pictures free download”. Its address is http://www.bigfoto.com/. They do have a copyright, though. It says:

“You have free use of all pictures if you provide a link to the bigfoto website. If you do not want to provide a link, please contact us, or click here for payment instructions.
It is not permitted to copy bigfoto pictures onto a web site and offer them for downloading.” (Big Photo Images for Download and Free Use - Bigfoto.com)

Maybe LinQ Support could tell us where this link can best be placed.
Reinhard

alleray,

I think this is an interesting suggestion although I do not know where we would put the link to bigfoto.

Here is some more information on this whole subject:

Obviously the best solution is to put our own image or picture on our desktop and use that image.

http://www.skelliewag.org/a-complete-guide-to-finding-and-using-incredible-flickr-images-162.htm

I think that using Flickr may be more promising. As I understand it we can use images according to their Creative Commons rules. Check out this page

We just need to acknowledge the source of the image. This can be done either in the Collection description or the Item description, i.e. wherever the image is used.

There are 4 categories of images and the first one seems the cleanest.

Attribution means:
You let others copy, distribute, display, and perform your copyrighted work - and derivative works based upon it - but only if they give you credit.

Noncommercial icon Noncommercial means:
You let others copy, distribute, display, and perform your work - and derivative works based upon it - but for noncommercial purposes only.

No Derivative Works icon No Derivative Works means:
You let others copy, distribute, display, and perform only verbatim copies of your work, not derivative works based upon it.

Share Alike iconShare Alike means:
You allow others to distribute derivative works only under a license identical to the license that governs your work.

I think that is a very difficult topic and it can be able that there are different regulations for each country.
Here it was possible the picture had no copyright and some days later suddenly it had one.
Therefore I wrote: look for a written permittion from the owner.

Irene,

It is not always practical to obtain permission from the owner of the image. That is why Flickr is a good solution. Please check out the link. You will see that we can use the images in category one. All we need to do is acknowledge the source in our item description.

Steve
I looked at Flickr and a saw on the first site the partition and categories.
Only when I went on “search” and looked for a special image like “Kaffee” or “Bücher” - I can never find these sign. I cannot recognize if it is free or not.
Only I can see who is the owner and then I can ask - it is a help.

I will take my pictures myself then I know they are free :slight_smile:

Irene

Irene,

Of course it is best if you create your own pictures. Not everyone is set up to do that.

If you go to

Jut use the the By Attribution area where there are close to 9,000,000 images.

I searched for coffee, cafe, caffe and books, libros, 本棚 and found quite a few nice images. The only thing we have to do is mention the name of the source of the photo as it appears under the image we decide to use.

By Attribution means:

You let others copy, distribute, display, and perform your copyrighted work - and derivative works based upon it - but only if they give you credit.

I have created a post on how to use Flickr images here at LingQCentral: http://lingqcentral.lingq.com/2008/07/adding-images-t.html

I uploaded some images to my content items accordingly.
Thank you Mr.LingQ Support(Mark?)!

Whoops! I didn’t realize I was in the Support account! Yes, that was me.

I see that the url I posted doesn’t work. It has an extra space in it. I forgot that our forum puts an automatic space into strings of text that are long.

Try this one instead, http://tinyurl.com/69aelm.

I cut the end bit and it opened alright.

http://lingqcentral.lingq.com/2008/07/

Here is another site for finding free images. Attribution works the same way as it does no Flickr. In fact, this seems to be more of a search engine for free images on the web. http://www.everystockphoto.com/