Asian Languages Now Working, Library Updated

You can now LingQ properly in Japanese and Chinese! We have resolved the longstanding issue with Asian languages and fixed the recent issues caused by our recent update to the site. We hope you enjoy the changes! Let us know of any issues you find. Who knows? Asian languages may have to come out of Beta!

As well, we have made some more changes in the Library. We have removed all filters and search from the main Library page. Now all you see are the different shelves with suggested lessons. You can now also page to the next set of results within a shelf.

All search and filtering will now take place on the search page which you can get to by clicking the Browse the Library link under the page title. We will be adding back the Accent and Level filters shortly.

Finally, the statistics on the Lesson page are now calculating correctly. Known Words should now be working in sync with the Known and I Know All buttons.

As usual tell us how you like the changes and if you encounter any issues.

I don’t study any Asian languages so I wouldn’t be able to comment on that. But good job on the library! It’s much easier to navigate. Thanks heaps!

This is excellent news indeed!

BANZAI !!!

Great, really great news!
Hmm… It does not concern recent update… I’ve just realized that I write a lot in Japanese. I have 104 writings in my Japanese section, 57 of them are my Japanese writings, and others – Russian writings of my students (btw, I like to see them here, as it motivates me to write). The only issue I don’t like is that there is no pages at all. The list is getting longer and longer. I know that Emma, my Japanese tutor, also write rather often to her Spanish tutor. I wonder how long writings’ list is at Emma’s Spanish section… At least 57 my Japanese writings + Emma’s Spanish writings… %)

I like the new library format! How is the level calculated? I notice that the level of my own imported writings is also given, which suggests it’s done automatically rather than by the provider. Some of them are rated as a bit harder than I would have expected.

It must have something to do with the percentage of vocabulary above the 2000 or so most frequent words (word forms/types?). According to my list of 2131 most frequent German word types, which I updated as known words to check on my own articles, Beginner 1 goes up to 31% of new words, Beginner 2 has between 28 and 37%, for Intermediate 1 I find rates between 22 and 47% (!)… For my own articles the rates seem more consistent (36-40% for Intermediate 1, 47-50% for Intermediate 2, 49-62% for Advanced 1).

Maybe the list this automatic rating is based on could be provided?

Actually my list of most frequent word forms is rated as Advanced 1, I’d choose Intermediate 1 at most if I could. So it’s not quite clear how this works after all.

I guess I’ll have to downgrade on the vocabulary I use if I want to create beginners’ content :))

I’m glad you like the changes.

@Rasana - We will add a pager to the Write page
@Helen and Reinhard - The automatic level was assigned using the most common 2000 words in English and the most common 3000 words in all other languages. We used unique words and called above 90% Beginner 1, 85% to 90% Beginner 2, 80-85 Int 1, 75-80 Int2, 70-75 Adv 1 and less than 70 adv 2. Because of the variance between languages and other factors, this is not necessarily that accurate. Therefore, we have assigned a level automatically this once but we expect that people may have to adjust the level manually after that.

Very smart! Thank you!

Huzzah! Thank you so much! =] Now I can continue to spread news of this site to my Japanese studying friends. :wink:

Now the library is muuuuuuuch better!!! thank you!

We will be continuing to work to improve the library, the site speed and other features. Your comments are all appreciated, the bouquets and the thorns.

I am very happy with the new library function. I especially like the “My Level” tab - I already found new, interesting content that I had not known about before (Mairo’s podcast and Ana’s podcast in Portuguese). I think this will be very very helpful. But I guess now I should get back to studying, instead of writing in the forum all the time. Thanks a lot!

P.S. I am also very happy that the Known Words count is properly working again :slight_smile:

So far, I’m very glad that I can save Chinese LingQs, and the new library looks promising.

Now it’s fun to use the new library.
Thank you!

The library is not perfect. I know that Mark is working on a few more issues.

Content providers will still be able to override the default classification of difficulty, and should do so where necessary.

Remember that you can change your own level in the Home section. This will determine what you see in My Level.

You will be getting more ways of searching and sorting the library a little later.

Everything seems to be working fine; however, when you lingq a word, it does not turn the rest of the same words yellow. Rather you can accidentally add the same word 3 or more times to your lingq. Not a major problem: if anything it helps me remember words more, so to avoid adding 抵抗 several times to my vocab list. :wink: But other than that, thanks again for restoring the functionality to the two languages.

On that note, I am still having a persisting problem: when I highlight a word that is NOT blue or yellow in order to LingQ it, the word right next to it disappears. I am not sure if this has been mentioned before. It’s not the biggest problem in the world but when there is time it would be nice to fix this problem. Thanks, Janna.

I’m also having problem as Janna, especially when I highlight more than two words to create LingQ. This problem happens when I use IE7. When I use FireFox, I can highlight words properly, but it’s not all the time. I rarely select phrase when I create LingQ, so it’s not a big problem for me. I’m sure some users who often select phrases irritate this disappearing word problem. This is just my report.

Thank you very much for your hard work on Asian languages. I am so happy to know finally our asian language leaners can save lingQs :slight_smile:

I like the “My level” function too, but I noticed the system doesn’t show “my level” when learners set their level “No knowledge.”
Those are the ones who need to be selected lessons by the system. Now I have to change my Spanish level to “Beginner I.”

(Sorry if my English is more messed up than usual, because I am watching a vallyball game on TV…)