Difference between в and во

Hey there

I am currently working on lesson 11. ГДЕ ТЫ ЖИВЁШЬ?

It is not entirely clear to me when I should use в and when во.
Reading online, the best I could come to an explanation was:

Use “в” with the words beginnig with vowels. eg - в океане
Use “во” for the words beginning with consonants. eg - во дворе

However, I also read there were exceptions such as:

В замке
в крепости
в магазине

I then wonder, are these exceptions to be learned on an individual basis or is there a rule behind them?

Last but not least, in order to stregthen the values of the lesson, is there anywhere I can find a big list of the corresponding words for most nationalities in a format similar to the lesson where I can see the variants (and the occasional exception) ??

For example:

америка
—> америке
—> америки
—> американцы

Regards
Capagris

We use ‘во’ when after it we have two consonants - it’s just for the easier pronunciation: во вторник, во втором классе.
But if we have two consonants with ‘r’, we not always add ‘o’: во время, но: в среду, в крепости
I don’t understand your question about “Америка”
Я живу в Америке (in America- Prepositional)
Он из Америки (from America- Genetiv)
Он американец, она американка, они американцы (nationality)

Is this any use to you? Countries, Nationalities and Languages — LearnRussian Grammar tables

I don’t think so.
Посмотри бумаги в столе
У меня в планшете мало игр.
Maybe it’s better to remember this occasions, because I guess there are many exceptions to this rule.

1 Like

Could try Google Translate.

Я живу в Америке.
Я из Америки.
Я американец.
Я говорю по-английски и по-испански.

Since Americans talk about what state they are from, I tried a few and got some mixed results with the “с”.

Я из Калифорнии.
Я с Аляски.

1 Like

Hi ! =)))

Your discussion made me recall, this ‘c’ usage comes from the use of the place one is from as used in the Ukrainian, e.g. the Russian would say, “Он - из Киева”, whereas the Ukrainian would nearly always say, “Он - с Киева”, both meaning, “He is from Kiev” (the capital of the Ukraine).

Besides, whenever you’re speaking in Russian of being from any island state you nearly always would use ‘c’, e.g. “I’m from Cuba” - “Я - с Кубы”, “I’m from the Philippines” - “Я - с Филиппин”, etc.

But, please, notice, when talking about peninsular state in Russian, the usage is rather arbitrary, e.g. you may say in Russian, “I’m from California” as both “Я - из Калифорнии” AND “Я - c Калифорнии”; these two being both absolutely acceptable.

The slight difference is the implication, but I emphasize, it’s only SLIGHT and not even necessarily implied in each case, but still, if you are about to further specifiy the city in California you are from, you’d most probably say, “I’m from California, from the city of …”, i.e. " Я - из Калифорнии, из города …", but if you do not have any disposition at all to get into further details, you will surely restrict yourself by saying, “I’m from California”, i.e. “Я - с Калифорнии”.

Again, I’d like to emphasize, the choice is VERY much arbitrary, i.e. you are in NO way compelled to use one version once you feel like getting into further detail, and not to use another one if you are not. =))

Notice: Both punctuation versions are acceptable, i.e. the one with a dash indicating the missing verb (am) which was used in ancient Russian, and without any dash at all, the former version implying ‘As for me, I’m from California’, whereas the latter one is just a neutral declaration of the fact, i.e. “I am from California.”

1 Like

Hi, Andrey! =)))

Yeah, you surely are right! =))) We’d rather take them as irregular instances, just to be on the safe side! :wink:

Thanks for that information. Interesting about islands with regards to “с”. Perhaps it is not a coincidence that modern Russian would still carry a reference to Alaska being “islands” because historically the Russians were almost elusively interested in the islands or coast in that area. Then again, maybe not important at all.

1 Like

Yes, this is precisely what I’m looking for, lists of countries in russian with their respective noun/adjective/etc. forms

Thanks a ton Curlew

Thanks for the clarification Ev. Regarding Amerika and all that, I meant if you knew a resource list like the one Curlew linked to below, but with even more countries.

Even more exceptions, haha, alright.

Yes, the rule is mosly limited by two consonants, the first of them must be “в”\ “ф” : во Франции, во вред, во вчерашней газете, во флоте, во фразе.

Hi ! =))

Yeah, true that! =))

It also reminded me of the preposition used in Russian to denote “being placed at the territory of the Ukraine.” It’s a hotly debated issue nowadays to the extent that it has pronounced political implications! =)))

The Russian language grammar rules read, in this case “at the Ukraine”, i.e. “на Украине” should be used.

However, the Ukrainians insist that only “in the Ukraine”, i.e. “в Украине” be used, as the use of ‘at’ implies ‘somewhere at a remote and small area, or at the outskirts’ ! :wink:

1 Like

I was half way through typing a bit longer message and had a power outage that kicked me off line for awhile. Thanks for this information too.

1 Like

Ah, I see…

As I could clearly feel the message being sort of abruptly broken…
Now I see the point! :wink: