Я изучаю русский язык. = I study AND I'm studying

Я изучаю русский язык. = I study AND I’m studying Russian?

1 Like

Yes, we have less verb tenses in Russian than in English or maybe in Portugese - only Present, Past and Future.

1 Like

Yes. If I said я работал it means I worked but in reality, if it’s the imperfective case, it’s more accurate to say “I have been working”

2 Likes

No, you are wrong. If it"s: “я работал”= ‘I worked’- ; if it’s “Я работаю здесь уже 10 лет”='I have been working here for 10 years.

1 Like

YES! You are absolutely right! =))

The problem is, Russians do not feel this continuous or progressive aspect; it becomes even worse when it goes about their combination! :wink:

Your feeling of the language didn’t betray you, 'cause the legit correct answer is, it’s BOTH ‘I worked…’ AND ‘I have been working…’ ! :wink:

1 Like

Hi ! =))

In Russian, BOTH are legit correct, i.e. ‘I study Russian…’ AND ‘I am studying Russian…’ ! :wink: Even, as Dimethylamine proposed ‘I have been studying Russian …’ is also correct ! =))

Russians do not have a feeling of continuous or progressive aspect of the verb, neither do they have any perfect form of the verb; just perfective and imperfective aspect! :wink:

1 Like

“No you are wrong.”
“Yes you are absolutely right!”

Which one is it? :S

1 Like

Hi ! =)))

Again, I tell you BOTH are correct! =))) The reason being very simple, Russians do not have this feeling of continuous or progressive action, nor do they have any perfect or their combination! =))) Just perfective and imperfective aspects of the verb! =)))

In other words, unless you specify the time frame more precisely it’s impossible to provide a more accurate and unambiguous English translation! :wink:

Thank you a looooooooooot!!!

1 Like

Thank you! :smiley:

Welcome! =)) Just anytime! =))