Немецкий

I noticed the system’s translation/definition for немецкий was german AND dutch.
I though dutch were called голландский.

Is this a mistake or a cultural generalization I’m not privy to haha?

Cheers
Capagris

You mean one of the user-generated options to define the word? I’m under impression others see what we type in those boxes on my screen, even when we make a mistake. I’ve edited a handful of options since I joined. I have been slowly reading a Sherlock Holmes book in the English lessons. I had to look up some UK specific words and there were only Russian options in the definitions. So I was the first person to add an English definition. Perhaps someone will see what I added someday when they read that book?

The system is not faultless. Google translate makes mistakes too. :slight_smile:

You have the possibility to edit the translation. In doing so, you will help the other users, who will see you translation as an option to choose for the word (you probably saw that for each word, the system gives you 3 translation options from which you have to choose).

In short, when in doubt, check the translation.

Happy learning!

Andrew, I edited the translation using the pencil icon but now the word appears as a LingQ. If I click on the word again - as if encountering it for the first time, I don’t see any additional options. How exactly does the edit translation method work exactly? Sorry for all the questions, I didn’t see something specific about this in the intro videos.

Let’s say you encounter a new word, which is marked with blue.

Upon clicking on it you usually will receive three translation options (3 meanings) from which to choose.

They usually are about the same, but thats not the point. The next step would be to choose one of the three. But if neither of them seems correct, you can do some research and come up with the correct meaning.

Next, you edit one of the options and write the meaning that you found to be correct.

When you edit the translation and save the new meaning, the system saves the word as a lingq.

So, it is presumed that you are sure of your chosen meaning for that word, so you will receive only that translation when you try to learn the word.

When you click on a lingq you receive only the translation that you’ve saved for it.

You will discover all of this and much more through trial and error. Just click on every button and see what happens. Nothing will be damaged. :slight_smile:

Once you choose a definition, you can add additional hints in our LingQs that the system will maintain.

When you click on a word in text on the left, on the right or LingQ side of the screen a small circle with plus symbol becomes visible directly below the flag/language drop-down menu. Click that plus to add new hint line to your data.

I have moved multiple meanings onto different lines a few times but there could be many reasons someone would want more information there. I noticed we can even add multiple languages there because of that flag drop-down capability.

Once we have multiple hint lines, we can delete a line that we don’t want anymore by clicking on the “x” on right-hand side in that text entry area.

Thanks for the clarification guys. I appreciate it.