Добрый or хорошо?

Years ago I was told that добрый was Ukranian for “good”, and хорошо was Russian for “good”. I’m following evgueny40’s lessons (which are fantastic btw), and I see him using a mix of both добрый and хорошо for “good”. When would I want to use one versus the other?

1 Like

Добрый - means “nice” or “kind”,especially in relation to person or quality of thing. Хорошо - means “good”.

1 Like

Ah, really quite a nice question! =))) In Russian, the modern use is the following: kind - добрый, good - хороший, but ‘well’ - хорошо ! =))) However, the Ukrainian retained an Old Slavic form of хорошо, which is дОбрэ, and, surprisingly enough, nearly the same word “добрый” is used as an outdated word in the meaning of ‘good’ and not in its modern Russian meaning of ‘kind’ ! :wink:

1 Like

Hi ! =))) Once again, хорошо - means ‘well’ , and NEVER ‘good’ ! :wink:

“хорошо”: он сделал хорошо, он знает язык хорошо, это очень хорошо (adverb)
Хороший человек= добрый человек=добросердечный человек (adjective). Three adjectives are really synonims, the difference is very slight. That’s why in German for all these words the only translation ‘gut’.

2 Likes

Good film - Добрый фильм, а не хороший фильм?

хорошо

1. прил. кратк. см. хороший
  2. предик. безл. it is nice, it is pleasant
  3. нареч. well*
  4. как сущ. с. нескл. (отметка) good
  5. в знач. утвердит. частицы (согласен) very well!, all right!, agreed!, OK!, okay!
1 Like

Madali lang na ito, ‘She sings WELL,’ not ‘She sings good!’ :wink:

From the Russians and Ukrainians I’ve talked to, хорошо is more often used as a literal translation of meaning “okay” or “well*.” When I say ‘как дела?’

*Also noted, according to pauler, it means ‘well’ not ‘good’. I didn’t know that! The context isn’t much different though.

1 Like

True that! =))) The most common reply to “How’s the thing?” would literally be “Well !” Strangely enough, more elaborated versions are not so widely used, unless you want to sound legit eloquent ! :wink: Thus, the mere “I’m fine, thanks!” when literally translated into Russian would even sound a bit outdated today, although it’s absolutely grammatically correct and immediately understood by natives! :wink: It’s a matter of stylistic prefference, basically ! :wink:

It means both ‘well’ and ‘good’ - the main point: it’s an adverb in Russian, it’s connected with the verb: Он говорит по-английски хорошо (говорит “как?”- хорошо). It can be also the word of an agreement: Хорошо, сделаю это.

It’s only recently when I was explaining the peculiarities of Russian to an absolute beginer foreigner with no initial background of Russian at all, that I realized it’s absolutely irrelevant for them to know and, hence, no point to explain if it’s an adverb, or a modifier of concession, say, as they are not going to make any parse of the sentence at all, the reason being it’s just not their job! =)))

What they legit need to know is to get an answer to 3 simple questions: (1) how to say this, (2) what exactly it means, and (3) these two seem to denote nearly the same, what is the difference between them and when do I have to use this, but not that one? =)))

It’s only for me that it’s both interesting and relevant to know, say, that this is an enclitic particle, and not a mere preposition! =)) The majority of ordinary people never even think of this, as it just doesn’t matter for them, at all ! :wink:

1 Like

That makes perfect sense because I remember it in English as well.

I am a good person (as in, I do noble and good deeds)

I speak Russian well (my skill in speaking Russian is proficient).

1 Like

Hi ! =))

I read you may need scientific terms later, pertaining to mathematics. :wink: I guess, I might be of some help, as I translate and proof-read predominantly specialized technical matter, R&D inclusive! :wink:

1 Like
  1. you can cheekily use хорошо as a noun but добрый not so (THEY ARE BOTH ADJECTIVES THOUGH) 2) добрый’s long e sound makes it sound cute. ииииииииии. In old Soviet cartoons добрый is used and abused.

It’s impossible! =))) Хорошо can NEVER be a noun, as it’s an adverb, not an adjective, by the way, as it answers the question ‘in which manner?’ So, neither ‘well’, nor хорошо can EVER be a noun or an adjective! =))) And, of course, one more correction, the word добрый can NEVER have any sound ‘иииииии’, it’s not ‘иииии’ there, it’s a sound very much close to the Korean sound written in Hangul as _ ! =)))

1 Like

That would be awesome. If I could get podcasts that would help me teach physics and chemistry, I would be grateful! Unfortunately, I don’t have much in return though.

If I could learn terms like acceleration, derivative, quantum, etc.

1 Like

I was actually really excellent in physics and chemistry and was even about to enter either of these for university education, but because I was also more than excellent in English, with no additional tuition, I still opted for the Foreign Languages Study! =))) As of now, btw, I’m involved with Tagalog! :wink:

So, ‘acceleration’ - is “ускорение” - it’s neutral gender,

‘derivative’ - is “производная” - it’s feminine gender, but notice, in Russian it’s an adjective which became a noun, that’s why the rules for its declention are exactly the same as for all adjectives, though it’s a noun ! =))

‘quantum’ - is “квант” - it’s masculine gender. =))

On YouTube, you can search for лекция физика or лекция химия - and you’ll see lots of courses or other kinds of educational stuff (I tried it a second ago). They don’t have subtitles, but if you understand the subject matter and see formulas or pictures, you’ll probably guess what’s going on without them. At least, it’s easier than listening to most other kinds of information. Like, it’s hard for me to listen to a Portuguese talk show, but I can understand nearly everything in Portuguese lectures on Astrophysics.

Добрый is one of those very few amazing proto-Slavic words that have survived in nearly the same form in all Slavic languages (with somewhat different shades of meaning). It means both “good” and “kind” in both Russian and Ukrainian, but in Russian the meaning “good” is archaic (you can see it, for example, in fairy tales), while the modern Russian word for “good” is хороший, except in some fixed expressions like добрый день (good day) or добрые дела (good deeds) or as a morpheme in words like добровольно (voluntarily). Or in my surname Добровольский :). Otherwise, добрый means “kind” in Russian. Хорошо is a Russian (not Ukrainian) adverb meaning “well”, its Ukrainian equivalent would be добре (pronounced as if spelled “добрэ” in Russian).

2 Likes

There’s hardly anything to add! :wink: Just exhaustive! :wink:

1 Like