Е и ё

After spending some time on Russian , I’ve observed that these two letters are somehow mutable.

For example : When I was getting down with a vocabulary app of Russian version ,

I saw ‘зубная щётка’ , which signifies ’ toothbrush ’ .

But now when I’m reading a line from Mr.Evgueny’s collection , it goes

"Я чистил зубы так быстро и так энергично, что сломал ЩЕТКУ’ .

I’ve gained some concept from googling , and here is one of the matters

However , I still need a more comprehensive explanation for it , thanks!

Unfortunately, you will sometimes have a problem with these two letters because we use in all newspapapers and the most of books only ‘e’. And you can find ‘ё’ only in some textbooks and mostly only in the first lessons. It’s the matter of tradition., But we have not so many words with ‘ё’ and in fact it can’t disturb you to understand the meaning of words (they often even have these aliteration like ёлка- ель- еловый; печёнка-печень, печь- пёк-пекла)

1 Like

Alright , I got the idea. Grateful for this reply!

It was once a problem with these 2 letters even for me, a native speaker. How could I know the name of the underground station is not СавЕловская but СавЁловская???
That’s why I use ё always. By the way, using е instead of ё at school was counted as a mistake when I was a pupil.

2 Likes

I would be happy to see a return to the days when it was a mistake to use е instead of ё. I found a funny text about the use of Russian, which included this: “Не забывайте про букву «ё», иначе не различить падеж и падеж, небо и небо, осел и осел, совершенный и совершенный, все и все, передохнет и передохнет.”

Wow! =))) Was it THAT strict in Belarus? =)))) It wasn’t so strict during my schooltime! :wink:

This is exactly where the difference is! =)))

NOT only is it a matter of mere tradition, really! =)))) It was a very clear indicatior of a person education level ! =)))

If a person is not really highly educated, you may be nearly hundred percent sure, he uses this double-dot ‘yo’ in writing! =)))

If a person is REALLY highly educated, he never uses this letter in writing for a very simple reason, he doesn’t need it, as the sentence itself immediately and unambiguously indicates which of the two was implied ! :wink:

Needless to say, I never use this two-dotted ‘yo’ in written Russian! :wink: Sapienti sat, as they said in ancient Rome, i.e. ‘For clever one it’s sufficient!’ :wink:

Haha! =))) Believe me, it’s no big deal, especially nowadays! =)))

Most of those living now in the area of ‘Savyolovskaya’ station which is adjacent to Savyolovsky Railway station in Moscow are from the former Soviet republcs, they do not even have a slightest clue of how half of the Russian words are pronounced, let alone that ‘Savelovskaya’ or ‘Savyolovskaya’ issue, and they don’t really have to, Russian not being their native language, after all ! :wink:

My implication is, though I’m with a native Russian language, I will immediately understand what I’m being asked about, be it this or that version! =)))

Всё-таки, бывают ещё и другие мнения :wink:
Не вижу никакой сложности нажать кнопку с нужной буквой.
Вёсёкёёбрёзёвённёй чёлёвёк дёжё тёкёё пёймёт :wink:

1 Like

Oh, yes, there is, a complication! :wink: Even more so while touch-typing in Russian, as the key concerned is waaaay off the reach of the main fingers! :wink:

Очень даже вижу сложность! :wink: А в особенности при слепом наборе на русском, поскольку нужная клавиша уж очень далеко от основных пальцев! :wink:

Однако, милиционер (он тогда ещё милиционером был) не понял моего вопроса про СавЕловскую. Допускаю, что он был ещё в меньшей степени москвичом, чем я.
Хотя, москвичи особой приветливостью не отличаются. Нужно было мне однажды вечером из метро Таганская пройти по Марксистской, чтобы найти дом на Маяковского. Спрашиваю у прохожего во дворе: “это Маяковского?”, а мне в ответ: “нет, это Марксистская!”. Таким тоном, как будто я Кремль с ГУМом перепутал.
Да и вообще, в Москве “туева хуча” названий, где непонятно, куда ударение ставить, не говоря про е/ё: КожУхово/КОжухово, РуднЁвка/РУдневка, список бесконечный. Неужели только высокообразованный человек должен сразу догадаться, как произносится НагАтинска/НагатИнская или ПлАнерная/ПланЁрная?

1 Like

Skipping ё in short words like её feels really weird to me. But I am glad you are highly educated :slight_smile:
I also support the following Wikipedia policy: Википедия:Употребление буквы «ё» — Википедия

Однако, я её набираю всё-таки, не смотря на её далёкое расположение. Правда, я не пользуюсь 10-пальцевым методом, хоть и печатаю практически вслепую.

1 Like

Мне-то, увы, приходится пользоваться именно набором вслепую, иначе любой набор текста перевода превращается в тяжкий и изнурительный труд, особенно, если на клавиатуре не кириллица, а, скажем, хирагана, которую я, конечно же, тоже знаю, но для русского языка она не очень подходит! :wink:

Вот когда я проги на ассемблере писал, там мне уж точно метод набора вслепую не нужен был! :wink: Но это так, развлечения! :wink:

С милиционерами - там и вообще вопрос понятный! :wink: Их же всех тогда в Москву по лимиту набирали, их так и называли “лимитчики” ! =))) Он, скорее всего, даже не из области! :wink:

А там, кстати, в этом районе мало, кто знает, где он этот переулок Маяковского! :wink: Я просто это место в Москве довольно неплохо знаю! :wink: А коренных же москвичей почти не осталось! =)) Распознать очень просто: это уж точно будет обязательно человек очень преклонного возраста…

А с этими названиями и вообще все очень просто! :wink: Это же все раньше деревнями были, мы не обязаны знать точное называние каждой деревни! :wink: Кстати, в подтверждение этого и сами местные жители точно не знают, как оно называется: планерную всю жизнь так и называли, половина так, а половина - сяк! =)))

1 Like

It’s not that hard, believe me! =)) Just a matter of habbit ! :wink: