Doing a 90 day challenge in Russian!

Hi guys,

I have started a 90 day challenge and its going well, or so I think. Do people here think it would be best to go over as much new material as possible and add as many lingqs as I could in this period? Or would it be better to not stretch myself so wide, and aim for complete comprehension of a few courses? What would get the most out of these three months? I have been learning Russian for about 2 and a half years now, but only a few months on lingq. Progress has been slow, as new words take a while to sink in. I am asking to see what has worked well for other people etc.

I would like to add, I’m off to Russia for 10 days in mid November, so we will see if all this work was worth it ha!

3 Likes

I completed the original 90 day challenge in Russian. It was good. Do you plan to do the writing and speaking parts too?

I found it was quite easy to make the required number of LingQs made and to get the required words of reading. What was more difficult was the required hours of listening and the required LingQs learned.

1 Like

It depends on your level. If you’re a beginner, going over material and reviewing frequently is essential, but if you’re intermediate or advanced, you can do some extensive reading and listening for the most exposure.

1 Like

I am finding the known words and learned lingQs the hardest. I don’t want to cheat if I don’t know something, or its not becoming more familiar. I get to speak at a very basic level quite often, so I sometimes note that in my stats when its added up to a good amount. Writing is more of a challenge, I need a Russian keyboard I guess, internet keyboards are not as appealing but I use a Russian keyboard when texting sometimes. Comprehension is coming along, but I really struggle with the speed of normal conversation, and a single unknown word often throws me off a sentence.

I was standing still on 1800-2000 known word for a long time. It was really a heartbreaking plateau. I guess I ran out of cognates (: Solution, read more, more lingQs, more exposure etc.

Im having a bit more luck going back to older easier material, just briefly listening to a few lessons and realising I understand most of what is being said even though words are not classed as known. The idea of interleaved learning like Steve K talks about seems quite true of material a month or two old that you have been over several times.

2 Likes

Half way update sort of, finding getting the reading and listening required is not a problem, I will easily pass the amounts required. The big thing at the moment is the words known counter. Its not really moving as fast as I would like it. I am having to back track to easier material and pick words I know but did not tag as known to boast it. I seem to be at that point where any new courses have a ton of unknown words, this leads to a lot of LingQs and a lot of yellow on pages.

Reading as much as I can, listening as much as I can, however huge amounts of Lingqs on many pages just do not seem to be sticking to memory. However my comprehension of what I already know has much improved. My sticking point is the acquiring of new words, at the moment its hardly happening.

Really not a fan of flash cards, but I am going to try to devote 10-15 minutes a day to them, perhaps this will help words to stick to memory. It helped at university.

Girlfriend who speaks Russian, has told me my spoken Russian has much improved, has more flow, and I use more words but my pronunciation has worsened. Sometimes I find I can use a word that I didn’t know I knew, if that makes any sense. The right word just appears and can be used.

Also got myself a silver apple!

3 Likes

I am against a steamline in Lingq, but I don’t believe that making tons of new Lingqs without remembering them can really help you in acquiring a new language.
But of course it’s also nonsense to remember all new words. I divide all new words in 3 groups: about 25%- the most userful or interesting to me; about 50% - not bad, but not for this level; 25%- rare, not useful words. The words from the first group I even write out and make some easy sentences from them to keep them in my memory and I repeat them every day for the first week and 2 times the second and thirs week, the words from the second group I repeat using multiple choice in lingq.com 1-2 times a week but without making a lot of efforts, the third group I ignore until I meet them again and again.
It works.
Besides, I alternately read some new texts and repeat some old texts that I’ve read before. It helps as well to be more sure and not to be afraid of too many new words…

3 Likes

hello, i have a problem of piled up lingqs as well, i dont like reviewing them, but i read lots of material, so important ones pop-up again if i remember them, i click known, or increase the known level by one. but this approach is a little bit random, i am still learning efficiently how to use Lingq. So may be this is a better approach.

I’m currently learning from your “ПРОСТЫЕ ТЕКСТЫ” series which I really like! I found that moving up a level means each lesson comes with 50-60 unknown words, its a lot to learn! Sometimes I dont know how people are moving words to their known list so fast, When the lessons have so many unknown words, hardly any seem to sink in. Some lessons, not just from simple texts I’ve listened to well 20 times, and am still struggling to take in words.I may drop back to more simple material with less unknown words for the next 6 weeks. I think if I can get to 2000 words in 6 weeks, Ill be happy! Like aileia3, I am still learning how to effectively learn a language here.

2 Likes

But have byou done before “Русский с нуля”, “Первые шаги”, “Базовые модели” and “Вопросы и ответы”? - i mean the most of these lessons because they have constructions that I use then in the collections “Простые тексты” and “Начинаем говорить по-русски”. I wonder that you tell about 50-60 unknown wiords because it’s possible only at the beginning, and then the most of the words will be repeated. You can also combine: one text from the "Простые тексты"or “Начинаем говорить по-русски” and one from “Русский с нуля” or “Базовые модели”.
But if you say about the difficulties, I will think about the course that must be easier than “Простые тексты”.
You can also try my new collection “Медленно и быстро” and the first lervel from the collection “Разговорные темы” where there are lessons of the same topic in different levels.
And in any case don’t try to remember too many words - you say 2000 words in 6 weeks - it’s no exam, you have to enjoy your learning and go ahead with your own pace. Maybe you remember 200 words, but without being exausted.

1 Like

Thank you for your replies Evgueny. Yes I have done those four courses, and can pretty much understand 80% in all of them, its not necessarily the constructions of the language but rather the details, one or two unknown words can easily throw me off a sentence. I am going to spend more time going over the four courses I have already covered and add in some of the harder material into my time in lesser quantities.

I couldn’t find “Медленно и быстро” do you have a link I could use? Also, while I dont have an exam, I am of on the 7th of November to St Petersburg for 7 days and then 6 days in Moscow! My visa arrived today. My trip away will be my exam!

Good trip to Russia! Maybe we can meet while you are in Petersburg.

I don’t find the Link to the course “Медленно и быстро”, maybe because of the endless ‘improvements’ in Lingq.com. But I’ve found the link to the first lesson. That’s it:
Медленно и быстро (Slow and fast)-1. Я ЖИВУ В РОССИИ

There are 5 lessons there till now, but I hope to continue it.

This is long.

Almost finished the 90 day challenge, I just got back from from Russia, I spent a week in St Petersburg and a week in Moscow. I pretty much put Lingq on hold while I was over there, I thought being in the country and being surrounded by the language would be sufficient.

Journey got off to a bad start, lets just say a journey across London, took me hours more than I thought it would, I missed my first flight to St Petersburg, but managed to get a cheap flight to Moscow, then planned to fly up to Peters from there. When I got to Moscow, I was in for a bit of a culture shock, everyone looked different, dressed different, and not one of the ticket sales people for airline S7 which flew to Peters spoke English. I had to use my quite limited Russian to buy the correct plane ticket and then listen to where I had to go for check in etc. This was quite character building ha.

Eventually I managed to get to Peters LED airport, had to find a minibus that went from the airport to the city centre, at this point I people started asking me to repeat what I had asked a lot, I realised I really should of done more speaking before I came over. I noticed one or two words in a sentence would throw me off very easily. Got the centre of the city, had to use the metro, got a few metro coins and off I went to find my hotel. Metro systems in Russia are amazing btw. When I arrived at the hostel I was staying at, I had to speak to the lady at reception, and pay etc. All of this was done in Russian, Ill admit I only understood about 40% of what she was saying, but I seemed to get the main overall concept.

Sometimes I would understand the first simple sentence that was said in a conversation, only then to be confused by the following small talk. This was to be a common theme in almost every conversation I had with people throughout my trip, being able to understand some sentences with outlined a subject, only to be thrown off by details being said. I tried to speak to as many people as I could where I stayed, I met people from Siberia, the Urals, and some from areas that I cant remember. In these conversations, I managed to express myself enough that people could make out what I was talking about, the wrong tenses, genders, didnt seem to matter much, it was clearly a struggle for these people too but the main thing is, we could understand each other to some degree.

I went out with someone for a drink, and I managed to have a conversation for about an hour with my very broken Russian. I spoke to my girlfriend the next night in Russian, she was quite surprised at how the speed of my speech had improved almost over the last few days. Eating out was a nightmare, I was exhausted on my arrival the first night, I just wanted to eat anything, so I went to Subway. Managed to get the right type of sub, but then realised I didnt know any of the words for the salad dressings ie olives, green peppers and the various sauces, they also asked me other questions and I had no idea what they were asking, it was awkward!

Flew to Moscow, got an express train to the city centre, got to the hostel reception and paid for room etc all in Russian, however I found it much harder to understand people in Moscow, and they also had a harder time understanding me. I had to ask for directions at points, and I really had to concentrate to comprehend what was being said. Seems to be a hanging on the sound “ah” in central Russia. When you visit another country, I don’t think you pick up anything new, unless you need to learn it, but your ability to use what you already have improves massively, you get used to having the same conversations and get good at their various routes. Met a soldier who was on holiday at Red square, we spoke for about 45 minutes and I tried to express myself the best I can, again he was quite able to understand what I was saying, even though I used the wrong tenses, genders, and what not.

I think my big mistake before going to Russia, was not to speak enough, I have quite a few holes in my vocabulary that are not complicated, but could of been dealt with before I went. I pretty much had too much work and not enough time at all to do any speaking. I feel like my Russian is at that stage where I’m almost at intermediate level, but not quite. I think once I’m at a stage were I can comfortably understand TV and radio, I’ll be quite happy. Seems so far away sometimes though. I’m gonna have a go at importing radio podcasts from Echo Moscow and try to get some real material down. I really struggled to understand people in Russia, and I think it is because I have kept at beginner and none real life conversational stuff for almost 3 years. Gonna have a go at what Steve from Lingq did, and see how that goes.

Russia was an amazing trip btw, my only disappointment was that it didn’t snow, in Moscow it was -5c, and no snow!

7 Likes

Those Russians must have been pretty surprised that a herring gull speaks any Russian at all :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

@AHerringGull
I congratulate you on your first real immersion to the Russian world!

1 Like

What you have just described is essentially the same experience I had when I was in Germany, learning German. That is, although I didn’t learnt that much, I definitely improved with the information I did know. In particular, I found that I could follow a conversation much more easily that before I went to Germany.

Hi! =)) Quite a wonderful report, true that ! =)) Felt like I was travelling along with you, while reading! :wink:

1 Like

It’s always a very unusual surprise, when suddenly you hear a native English speaker talking in Russian! =))) But I guess, it holds true with any foreign language! :wink:

I too am doing the 90-day challenge for Russian. I want to become proficient in 90 days, but fluent in 360 (1 year). I wish you much success in your studies though! I also envy the fact that you’re heading to the mother country to speak their native tongue! Безопасные путешествия и удачи!

1 Like