Cette formulation me confond. Je ne comprends pas "saurait y

“C’est qu’en vérité… il m’est permis de le dire « puisqu’il ne saurait y avoir en tout ceci aucun amour-propre d’auteur » et que je ne fais que transcrire des faits” – Cette formulation me confond. Je ne comprends pas “saurait y avoir en tout ceci”. Comment ces mots se rapportent ensemble? – “He (knew?) (it?) to have (in all this?)” – “amour-prppre d’auteur” veut dire “copyright”?

“ne saurait…” seems to mean “can’t be”

I’m native french and struggled for minutes to make sense of this sentence. I didn’t even know it was possible to use the verb savoir in that context.

Actually let me rephrase: I have heard this sort of phrases many times, but I just didn’t thought about it nor realized it was actually the verb “saurait” and not “serait”. Saurait dont make sense to me. But I’m very familiar with the formulation, still.

1 Like

I’ve already add my 2 cents in your same post here:

I would translate it as follows: There shouldn’t be, in all this, any “pride from the side of the author.” I only report. Meaning: It shouldn’t look as if I want to give myself (the autor) credit for what follows. I just report. MAYBE: It ought not look as if …