Does "Oh, sois moderne" mean "Oh Get up to date"

Does “Oh, sois moderne” mean “Oh Get up to date” ?

Whoever replies to connecticut111 and as he/she has the word “soit” in his/her sentence…

could you kindly let me know what “soit” means?

In one place it says it means ‘whether’, in another it says it means ‘is’.

I’d be very grateful for help too please.

Sue

Here you go: “sois moderne” is simply the subjunctive form of “être moderne” which means “to be modern”

Hence,

sois moderne —> be modern

Here it is in a sentence:

Que je sois moderne ou non m’est égal —> whether I am modern or not makes no difference to me.

I hope that helps somewhat, feel free to enquire more if not.

2 Likes

I think Maria nailed it.

BTW: Am I the only one who thinks that this is not a “Beginner 2”-lesson?

@Maria2 - Many thanks indeed for your reply as it’s helped me so much as well as connecticut111. :slight_smile:

@Paul - I’ve not used the lesson yet, but it does say in the Lesson name above that it’s Intermédiaire :wink: Never mind and that you for being so very helpful.

@Sue " it does say in the Lesson name above that it’s Intermédiaire"

Well, it says “niveau débutant à intermédiaire”. The picture of the lessons says “débutant 1” and the lesson itself is posted in the “débutant 2/beginner2”-category.

I read it and I´d say it´s at least an Intermediate 1 lesson. “Prendre l’air”, subjunctives, “T.G.V.”, “air iodé”, “déguster une bouillabaisse”, “dévorer”…that´s not beginner stuff. Yeah, I´ll move it to intermediate 1.

PS: I can´t edit the level without uploading a picture. What the…?
Alright, nevermind. I won´t change anything.^^

Have fun learning French :slight_smile:

Ah, I see what you mean Paul. I was thinking it WAS already in the intermediaire, but I think you’re right…definitely not quite the thing for beginners - possibly enough to put beginners off! :slight_smile:

We do have fun while learning :wink:

Sue