Making lingqs in Hebrew-- major problems

The problem is the word is not ג but גָלוי,. I don’t know if it’s different because this text has vowel points–perhaps that creates a technical problem for Lingq software. When I defined the word for what it actually is, גָלוי, it links the word to every ג by itself (ג alone is often used as a number.)

A bigger problem is when I try to make Lingqs the system often just recognizes the word as the first letter. Then the dictionary doesn’t work. I can look it up manually (although it takes much longer) but the problem is the linking between different texts in Lingq.

I’m not sure why when creating lingqs, the system sometimes only recognizes the first letter of the word.

It’s a known LingQ-issue with diacritics in non-Latin alphabets. As for now, we have to import Hebrew texts without nekudots. I’ve reported Ina a couple of days before, concerning this “nekudoted” collection.

Would it not be better to make a distinction between biblical Hebrew and modern Hebrew, because the two are different and you don’t need nikud to learn modern Hebrew, at least I never used it.

As I already answered in another discussion, only the Book of Genesis collection was imported with nedudots. The simple dialogues and the literature collection are without nekudots. So the question is: would it be better to reload the Book of Genesis with both options - with and without nekudots, the first is for easier reading and the second - for easier LingQing?
Someone who learns or plans to learn the Book of Genesis collection - what do you think?

1 Like

inablau, please add that lesson without nikkud.
It’s a great lesson and I would like to add LingQ’s for it.

Thanks for the lessons you’ve already done.

So, is the book of Genesis in Modern or Ancient Hebrew? Thanks!

Hi Ethang, The book of Genesis is written in classical Hebrew. Unlike ancient and modern Greek, modern and classical Hebrew are not different languages. Modern Hebrew is basically the ancient language, written in the same way, but with some changes in vocabulary and some differences in pronunciation.

1 Like