Beginner course: translations to languages other than English?

Terve.

I noticed that some beginner lessons have an English translation, while other do not. E.g., “Olla ostoksilla” dialogs have English translation, while “Sitä sun tätä”:n have none.

I feel that these translations are of immense help for beginners. Yet, it looks somewhat strange to consult English text while all the links are in e.g. Russian. It is not a problem for me, but other Russian-speaking learners might have trouble understanding Finnish text through another foreign language.

So, my first question is, is it okay to add translations in languages other than English? If yes, I could volunteer to translate the beginner dialogs into Russian.

And my second question is, is the absence of translations intentional? It could be, it order to stimulate independent discovery on the learner’s side. If it is not, then maybe it is worth adding them (on a volunteer basis)?

“So, my first question is, is it okay to add translations in languages other than English?”

Yes.

“If yes, I could volunteer to translate the beginner dialogs into Russian.”

All you have to do is ask Mark or Alex for editing rights. (or maybe they´ll read this and give them to you)
Once you have editing rights, you can open a lesson and add a translation.

"And my second question is, is the absence of translations intentional? "

Each month, users get a small amount of points for their shared lessons. They don´t get “bonus points” for adding translations though. I guess that´s the main reason why many lessons don´t have a translation.

1 Like

Thanks, Paul!

I guess I’ll ask in the Support Forum.

@obordal - I have just responded to you here: http://www.lingq.com/forum/2/31148/?page=1#post-174767