How has "kuin" been used in this context?

Hei kaikille!

Voivatko joku kertoa mulle, mikä “kuin”:n tarkoittaansa tässä on? I know that “kuin” means something similar to “than” or “as” when in comparison, but I can’t quite work out how it’s used in this context.

“Ministeriö ei kerro, haluaako ryhmä rahaa ennen kuin se päästää suomalaiset vapaiksi.”

I’m also a little unsure why “haluaako” has been used here the way it has. I would have expected something more like “jos” to be used.

It’s from Selkouutiset. The full paragraph is below:

“Ulkoministeriö ei halua kertoa tarkasti, mitä se tietää perjantain tapahtumista. Ministeriö ei kerro, haluaako ryhmä rahaa ennen kuin se päästää suomalaiset vapaiksi. Ulkoministeriön mielestä ihmiset voivat joutua vaaraan, jos asian yksityiskohdista puhutaan paljon julkisesti.”

Paljon kiitoksia!!

G’day.

“Haluaako ryhmä” just means “Does the group want”.

“Ennen kuin” just means “before”. I guess it could also translate to “prior to”.

If you were to translate the whole sentence into English, it could look like one of the below.

“The Ministry will not say whether the group wants money before it will release the Finns.”

“The Department will not confirm if the group is demanding money prior to releasing the Finns.”

Hope that helps! :slight_smile:

EDIT:-
Also, “ennen kuin” could be translated as “until”, depending on the context.