What to do when any Finn speak to you in Finnish?!

The midsummer was kind of surprise for me again my in-laws, my partner and even the little 7 years old child in the family will struggle to talk to me in English!!! The in-laws most of the time answer my questions in English when I asked them in Finnish! When they know how important it is for me learn their language. As well they know I have commited myself to study harder since the last 3 months. I quite understand them, but still I will expect some support. I know I’m still a basic going to intermediate level soon. But no way to get Finns to speak with you in Finnish until you are in an advanced level? Or have I been mixed with the wrong crowd? Oh dear! I hope to get some help!!?

So a bit Disapointed with my unsucceful attempt to practice. I decided to sit down with my small note book, listen to what they talk and darned myself to just write what comes to my mind or what they were talking. Worthwhile???!

Why don’t you just ask?

@eugrus That was funny! Well, maybe your suggestion makes sense. Thank you

If your friends always answer to you in English, why don’t you ask them not to? Doesn’t that make sense?

Pretend you don’t understand their English?

Pretend that you’re a Finn?

Germans do this to me too :wink:

That was Good Helen, I’m sure pretending I don’t understand their English will help me! Anyway I have a good intention. It’s so weird becaus sometimes or many times one or I feel really intimidated or have the thought I am gone be rude. But you know I think more rude are those…by the way to pretend I’m a Finn sounds a bit funny because I’m still a “beginner” close to intermediate. After living here for almost 4 years I understand the language quite a bit.

Keep replying in Finnish, even if they are replying in English. They’ll soon get the point. Try to keep all your contacts with Finns from now on in Finnish from the first contact, including emails, sms etc.
Writing down the words they said was a great plan b. Colloquial Finnish is surprisingly different to what most foreigners learn in classes.

Yes I see. Nice to have some encouragement(from a Finn!) not a problem anymore the colloquial. I got more or less used with many expressions. I think I just need activate my passive vocabulary. Thanks for your tips.

I’m not a Finn (yet), but I have gone through that stage and remember it well.

improve your grammar, mostly they switch to English, when they just hear an ungrammatical stream of Finnish words! if they hear correct Finnish they answer in FInnish…

@hullu- that is true! Thank you again. However it will take a while for me doing those improvments. Anyway I don’t give up hope! :slight_smile: