Is this a noun form, derived from yapmak?

Examples: Hata yaparım diye korkmayın! … Paul: Yaparım dememe rağmen… I was sure I understood the latter example from Who is she? Now I am not so sure, seeing the first example again. - Don’t be afraid of making mistakes. I’d like to understand the form better. It looks like a verb form (yapar - like the simple present).

I just looked at ‘diye’ again; maybe it’s like me saying “Hata yaparım”, I make mistakes, that’s nothing to worry about, don’t be afraid. It’s just that this way of putting it in such a short sentence makes it difficult for me to understand.

R-Präsens (= geniş zaman)

Reinhard, das ist eine Verbform des R-Präsens (= geniş zaman)!

Hier ist die Konjugation von yapmak (bejaht):

ben yaparım
sen yaparsın
o yapar
biz yaparız
siz yaparsınız
onlar yapar(lar)

Fasulye

Danke, das dachte ich mir schon. Das Problem ist eigentlich ‘diye’, genauso wie die Form ‘dememe’ in dem 2. Beispiel aus Who is she. (Obwohl ich sagte “ich mache es”, habe ich meine Meinung geändert)

I think I understand it a little better now. We have to think of these constructions as short direct speeches, which makes it easier for us (German or English speakers) to understand the use of diye/dememe after a form in geniş zaman.

diye

(Sorry, ozne, for writing this in German):

Pons Grammatik kurz & bündig, Seite 88:

"Diye ist ein aus “demek” ( = sagen) gebildetes Gerundium. Wörtliche Reden werden immer mit “diye” abgeschlossen. Man übersetzt “diye” nicht ins Deutsche (oder in andere Sprachen).

Beispiel: Ali “Ne var ne yok?” diye sordu. Ali fragte, wie es ihm / ihr geht."

Fasulye

1 Like

Thank you, this helps to understand how it works.

@ alleray

I can hear you “aufreibend grammatik” DİYE söylüyorsun !

You are almost right about what you understand from text:) I know that there are some details which are difficult to understand –
Yaparım- as you already know- is 1st person singular / geniş zaman
We can seperate this sentence, like

1. Hata yaparım( verb) – diye – 2) (Sen) üzülme ! / endişelenme ! / korkma !

There are different types of “diye” and each have their own uses. “diye” literally means “saying” ; it can be translated in quite a few ways, depending on the context.

Here is some examples for you:

1. “Hata yaparım diye korkma”
    It means simply;
    Don’t be afraid to make mistake (diye- by saying I do)
    We can also use these forms that have roughly same meanings;
    “Hata yapmaktan korkma”
    “Hata yaparım diyerek (gerund/ converb in -y- erek // (by saying) korkma”

2)Sometimes it means “because”
“Çok eski diye onu seçmediler.” or “ Çok eski olduğu için onu seçmediler.”
“They didn’t choose it, because it was too old”

1. Sometimes it means " as"
    “Hediye diye bana bu kitabı verdi.”
    “He/she gave me this book as a present”
1 Like

“Hata yaparım diye korkmayın” - Just trying an interpretation: Don’t let yourself be affected by this thought, (by) saying “Oh, I’m making mistakes”.

“Hata yapmaktan korkma” - this is easier because -TAN corresponds to OF (Don’t be afraid OF making mistakes).

“Hata yaparım diyerek korkma” - This is very similar to the first example. I understand that this form (-erek) often corresponds to by+gerund in English. The difficulty here again is the feeling that there are 2 subjects (I and you), which need to be kept further apart in both English and German, I think. YOU shouldn’t be afraid when speaking. Don’t think “I am making mistakes” all the time.

“Hediye diye bana bu kitabı verdi.” Here I have already found a way to think of ‘diye’ meaning ‘so to speak’, which of course can be rendered simply by ‘as’. (He gave me this book as a present so to speak, i.e. you could say or think of it as a present).

Different topic: BTW, I just wanted to mention that I found out why I wrongly used ‘ondan’ istead of ‘bundan’ or ‘bundan dolayı’. My thinking was influenced by English usage of ‘this’ and ‘that’. Whenever you refer to something that was mentioned before you use ‘that’; when it’s still in the future, you use ‘this’, e.g. ‘this weekend’ is actually the coming weekend. In Turkish this is obviously not so. Now I often notice the use of ‘bu, bundan…’ referring to something that was said before (where they use ‘that’ in English, like ‘for that reason’).

Üzgünüm Reinhard,
Bazen ben de aynı şeyi yapıyorum. Öğrendiğim dili aklımda bire bir çevirip anlamaya çalışıyorum . :)) When I come across a difficult sentence I translate it word for word in my head.

Ancak, bu cümle kelime kelime çevrilemez.
(plus lexicography is different)

–Don’t let yourself be affected by this thought, (by) saying “Oh, I’m making mistakes”. — means(literally) : Bu düşünceden etkilenmene (bu düşüncenin seni etkilemesine) izin verme (hata yapıyorum diyerek )

Ama, düşünce yöntemi olarak doğru söylüyorsunuz.

Türkçe düşünün ve temelde bu iki cümlenin aynı anlama geldiğini öğrenin bence:))

Hata yaparım diye korkmayın = Hata yapmaktan korkmayın