Гарри Поттер и Юрий Гагарин

Я нашел неслоько хороших сайтов для слушайте и читаете

Гарри Поттер Один-Семь
http://book-online.com.ua/series.php?s=128

хороший подкасты и статы

I found some good sites for listening and reading. There’s Harry Potter, but no audio, and there’s some articles with things like Yuri Gagarin with audio (but you can’t download it, unless you do it manually like with Audacity).

I don’t know the rules on this site are for importing content from other sites. But I’d thought I’d at least share with you all.

Also, I don’t think my Russian is correct. The adjective declensions (for the ending of хорошо) were a bit tricky because I forgot if т is masculine or neuter, I was wondering if the nouns were in the accusative or genitive case, and what form to use ‘слушать’ and ‘читать’.

2 Likes

“Я нашел неслоько хороших сайтов для слушайте и читаете”.
Let me propose a correction:
Я нашел несколько хороших сайтов, чтобы слушать и читать.

2 Likes

@Dime
There are thousands of Russian texts ikn the Internet, many thousands!..
But I I think you are in a hurry like a lot of other learners and that’s why you try to take some stuff that is too difficult to your level.
We have a good proverb in Russian: “Поспешишь- людей насмешишь” - it means in English: ‘Haste makes waste’ or ‘More haste less speed’.
Of course, you can do it though I don’t think it’s right to read the texts with hundreds of unknown words and ignore some real Russian lessons from the Russian library in Lingq.com which go for our lervel. At least, it’s better to mix some more difficult podcasts with some easier texts, it can give more sense for your learning.

2 Likes

We, the editors, normally paraphrase the adverbial clauses of purpose to omit them as they are considered to be something hindering the overall message perception, even more so in such short sentences.

Hence, it would rather be, “Я нашел несколько хороших сайтов для слушания и чтения”.

Hi ! =)))

You never asked me about the rule of thumb for gender recognition! :wink:

If a noun in the nominative does not have any final vowel at all, very high odds are it’s of masculine gender.

But, please, do not forget the adjectives in plural always completely lose any gender distinction, and this holds true for any declension case; which is in line with logics, as you never know if the plurality of entities consists of masculine, feminine, or a mix of masc and fem items! :wink:

As for the accusative and genitive case of nouns, just as in many other European languages, Ancient English inclusive, the genitive case primary purpose has always been to denote ownership or possession, whereas that of the accusative case has been to indicate the object, i.e. as in this instance ‘… found (what?) some good sites…’

Besides, the more I’m involved with the explanation of the sentence structure, in any language, not just in Russian, the more I realize that a word-for-word translation is absolutely necessary to grasp the actual feeling of the sentence structure; something the traditional ways of teaching any language in Russia totally avoid.

1 Like

Is this Why you have 0-1-0 in your language stats? (;

Hi! =)))

Do I study languages just for somebody to admire my language stats? :wink:

1 Like

The problem is finding interesting content. All the interesting content I find is advanced. I enjoy mathematics, science, and cars but those seem to be quite obscure.

Mathematics and science are pretty advanced subjects, and finding stuff on cars is annoying too because there are car forums, but people on forums have very poor grammar skills.

I can only enjoy listening to Eating Out so many times before I get tired of the lesson and realise I’m not going to a Russian restaurant any time soon (there aren’t any, despite my area having one of the largest Russian populations in the area).

1 Like

Hi ! =)))

Oh yeah, you’re absolutely right, as far as their poor grammar skills on forums is concerned! :wink:

As for science, are you restricted with chemistry only, or just any branch of science is also quite acceptable? As for mathematics, finding interesting content in Russian is rather problematic, due to quite apparent reasons! :wink:

What I’m thinking of is, maybe we could arrange this as follows: you find an article of your interest, maybe even in English, and as you’re still at a stage of a beginner, I’ll translate a short part of it into Russian for you, I guess at present, even some 5 to 10 sentences would be quite enough, to begin with! :wink:

Hi, Yevgeny! =)))

I do understand Dimethylamine, really, as I’ve got exactly the same problem! :wink:

Whenever I look thru thousands of texts in the Internet in any other language trying to find the ones of my skill level, I ask myself, “What??? Do they really think I’ll be reading such, er, … grap??? It’s not interesting for me, at all!” =))))

1 Like

I suppose any science really. I find physics, chemistry, and mathematics more interesting.

Biology to me is very boring and illogical, psychology is more interesting, and sociology is hardly a science (no offense).

Even reading the articles and podcasts I posted were interesting, so at this point, anything more organic/authentic can be interesting.

1 Like

Ah, that’s great, really! =)))

Yeah, you’re right, as for biology, it’s not always logical, to say the least of it, psychology - that I do agree with you, sure, interesting; as for sociology, no-o, no offense at all, 'cause you’re right it’s hardly a sicience it’s rather a personal point of view or a collection of these! :wink:

But did you get my idea? :wink: You will find what’s interesting for you, in English and I will translate it into Russian for you, thus, you’ll have a sort of parallel text! =)))

Besides, as I am aware of your skill level, I will at first stages intentionally use much more simple words, but surely I shall see to it so that I won’t make the original text waay too simplistic! :wink: And then, in the course of time, I’ll be using more and more words that are normally used for this type of texts in scientific Russian.

Again, please, do not think it’s a hard workload for me! =))) Translating some ten sentences is just a sort of warm-up! :wink:

So, shall we try? :wink:

I found a podcast with text on Kamchatka at http://everydayrussianlanguage.com/en/questions/kamchatka-en/. They source and link to loveopium.ru which has all kinds of articles you might like.

The same with me, Paul. It’s like a newspaper: I look it through and I see that 95% of all stuff isn’t interesting for me. It’s not about my skill level, it’s about my interests.
That’s why I can understand Dimerhylamine.
But on condition that he has reached a certain general level in the language. But I’m not sure that he has.
I taught a lot of English, German, Australian and Canadian diplomats who had a very good vocabulary in the diplomacy and very limited language resources for everyday life.
And we started learning these everyday words and dialogues because they have to live in a real life, not only in the world of diplomacy.
Or for example I like cakes, but I can’t eat only cakes, I have to eat bread, salad etc.
That’s why I believe if we really would like to know the language, we can’t limit our studying only with the things that we like, at least until we reach a real good intermediate level in our target language.

I see where you are coming from.

You want to be diverse in many subjects for many situations. It would sad I could lecture in Russian about vector Calculus in 3D space but couldn’t order off of menu to save my life.

If I’m more advanced, say at least 20-30,000 words, then I could probably afford to be picky.