Learn languages from interesting songs

“One young monk went downhill to get food, with the old monk’s words that
women down there are tigers.Run, unpon seeing them.
village after village, the young monk was wondering
Why dont the tigers eat people? rather,they look cute.
The old monk told him that these tigers were the most dangerous ones
The young monk was freeked out
I am screwed,sir. They have broken into my heart.
…”
Interesting song,isnt it? It’s actually an Chinese song,named “女人是老虎”,meaning that women are tigers,which is a lie to me,lol. I love such kind of songs and stories. We are able to learn languages and cultures from them easily, I bet. Could anyone please be kind enough to give me some suggestions? English songs most appreciated. Thank you so much.

A great song - and probably the best song-video that I have ever seen:

(See also the song “Ich kann nicht wie die anderen” from this band)

A decent song - with a lame video:

A song which is so bad that it’s truly amazing - with about the worst song-video ever made:

Und zu guter Letzt, Friedemann’s Lieblingslied - with a very decent video:

Kate Bush is a storyteller in her songs. The meaning sometimes can be ambiguous but you can google the meaning of a particular song and can find quite detailed answers about them. For example Wuthering Heights is based on a book with the same name. She might not be your taste but the lyrics could be nice to read without listening to the actual music.

Here’s a link to her songs and lyrics AZLyrics - request for access

@btotheb: “…you can google the meaning of a particular song […] for example Wuthering Heights is based on a book with the same name…”

Really?? Now who’da thunk that :slight_smile:

Not too sure what you mean by that, I only learnt Wuthering Heights was a book because of Kate Bush and not the other way around. Ask some random Chinese dudes if they know that.

@btotheb: “…I only learnt Wuthering Heights was a book because of Kate Bush”

In that case I’m sorry if what I wrote above was a little sarcastic.

(To me it just seemed pretty obvious that anyone who had studied English literature at school would instantly know all about this book. I guess things have changed since I was at school?)

Ok, thank you guys. those videos are interesting. and Kate Bush is toally a new guy who is getting into my mind. Her stories are nice. yeah,lots of stories,which is quite enough for me to spend with in a while:). So thanks again. Actually, it would be even better if there are more funny songs. We tend to keep them in mind after laughters,right? Well, if anyone wants Chinese ones,I do have got a bit more. Here you go:
“猪之歌(zhu zhi ge);我不想说我是鸡(wo bu xiang shuo wo shi ji);浪花一朵朵(lang hua yi duo duo);谁是下个哥(shei shi xia ge ge);伤不起(shang bu qi)”
Then how about MORE ENGLISH INTERESTING SONGS?

I did do lit and lang at school but we did Shakespeare and Educating Rita (10 yrs ago). Sunqian, I can’t think of any funny songs. The only thing that comes to mind is some limericks or some rude rhymes but I’ll leave you to encounter them on your own lol.

Well, let’s hope Gove can turn things around! :wink:

Wow, that is really kind of you:P

女人是老虎 (Women are Tigers)
Video and Text:

Hi,
I’m learning Italian (German native).
Some weeks ago I came across a great italian singer-songwriter (Federico Salvatore). Being a cabaret artist, his music is not the main thing, but his performance and the lyrics.
Lots of songs are on youtube and VERY well worth seeing. His lyrics can be found here and there in the web, but thanks to his very good and clear pronunciation I could transcribe them to add them to the Lingq library.

I would very much like to share with other Italian learners, but I’m unsure about the legal situation. I even tried to contact his promo staff via his website to ask whether they’d mind if I shared Federico Salvatore’s lyrics (together with youtube links?) on the Lingq site. I didn’t receive an answer.

Who can advise me?

Thanks

Kaderlid

Pinyin lyrics for Women are Tigers:

李娜 - 女人是老虎
Lí nà - Nǚrén shì lǎohǔ
小和尚下山去化斋
xiǎo héshang xiàshān qù huàzhāi
老和尚有交待
lǎo héshang yǒu jiāodài
山 下 的 女人 是 老虎
shān xià de nǚrén shì lǎohǔ