Are you your Norwegian texts in Nynorsk or Bokmâl?

This is my question to the content providers and the tutors of the Norwegian section here on LingQ. So which of these two official written variants of Norwegian do you offer here?

Kird regards,

Fasulye

2 Likes

Meanwhile I had a look through the Norwegian library and all the podcasts I have found there are declared as “Bokmâl”, which is good for me because I am studying Bokmâl and not Nynorsk with my German textbook “Einstieg Norwegisch”.

Fasulye

1 Like

Fasulye, I think I remember Bokmal and Nynorsk were added to the Accent field, so you can use it as a filter.

2 Likes

I do also recommend NTNUs web course. I love it!

As far as I checked it’s all Bokmål lessons at the moment. But as Michele said you can use the filter to determine which content is which.

Thank you all together for these useful recommendations! So I can always use the LingQ filter function to make sure that I get Bokmâl podcasts presented. The internet course “Norwegian on the web” maybe useful for me later on, so that’s very good for me to have such an option in reserve.

I cannot study Norwegian full speed because I am still in the learning process of Danish. Only now my VHS Danish course is on summer holidays (until 11 september) so this gives me the freedom to study Norwegian in between. When my Danish course is on, I always have to prepare many pages of native level Danish texts as my course homework…

Fasulye

As you know, Bokmål and Danish are quite similar in many ways. This may help you or confuse you, depending on how aware you are of it. The pronunciation of Danish vs SE Norwegian (“Østlandsk”), is quite different though.

1 Like

Indeed, the similarity between Danish and Bokmâl is huge! The written languages and the grammar are similar but the pronounciation and the sentence melody are different. At the moment it facilitates my learning process with Norwegian a lot! But it may in the future cause interferences between Danish and Norwegian. Perhaps as much as with my Spanish and Italian.This will not be a hinderance for me. For me the advantage of the easier learning process counts and I enjoy comparing both languages with each other very much.

Fasulye

Lykke til! :slight_smile:

Tusen takk, snorrews! Jeg glaeder meg ogsâ at studere norsk! :slight_smile:

Fasulye

Just for the different dialects (not only nynorsk vs bokmål) …
@snorrews, isn’t it the case, that all official norwegian radio stations are required to broadcast their stuff in a variety of norwegian dialects? I haven’t found any info about that on the net so far, but a friend of mine said it to me, that a radio sender has to switch between every norwegian dialect once in a while.

In Norway, there are two official written forms of Norwegian: Bokmål and Nynorsk. There are several dialects, many quite distinct. Some of these are close to the two written forms of Norwegian and some have bigger differences.

At least in NRK (the Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation) there is a set minimum limit on the use of the minority Nynorsk. The limit is subject to much discussion, where users of Nynorsk claims it to be too low and users of Bokmål claims it to be too high. There seems to be an increasing amount of dialects in TV and radio broadcasts, where as earlier I had the impression that the spoken language used where closer to the to official written forms.

So there is a requirement for the use of Bokmål and Nynorsk, but not for dialects.

Sami is in addition to Norwegian an official language in the northernmost counties and municipalities.

1 Like