Latin Dictionary Options

I am loving the Latin Beta option these last few months. I have a question / recommendation for a dictionary option, and not sure where to post this so I am putting it here. For native English speakers, the Notre Dame Latin - English dictionary is the best option of those given. However, there is a much better populated dictionary called William Whitaker’s Words, located at http://lysy2.archives.nd.edu/cgi-bin/words.exe. At present, when ND doesn’t find the word, I click to a different window and type in the word at Whitaker’s site, then drag over the definition. Can Whitaker’s dictionary can be integrated in Lingq via the “+ Add Resource” section?

Many thanks

jagwbl

Great suggestion! I’ve now added this dictionary to the list :slight_smile:

Alex, is there any way to integrate this dictionary w/ LingQ?
http://www.dur.ac.uk/p.j.heslin/Software/Diogenes/

It is a perl front end for accessing the Lewis and Short Latin-English dictionary (and the Liddell and Scott Greek-English dictionary, if Greek ever goes beta here). It is designed to be used w/ a large database of Greek and Latin literature, but it works perfectly well for word lookup and parsing of Latin and Greek words without them. It is free of charge.

(It is easiest to start with “Action:” set to “Parse the inflection of a Greek or Latin word” as that gives both the analysis of a word’s form and the dictionary entry.)

Generally one downloads it onto an individual PC, but there is some sort of Server option as well, but perhaps only for a LAN. I don’t think there is a web portal for it, but I may be wrong…

Those interested in Latin and/or Greek who can profit from English definitions may wish to download it for personal use. It’s extremely useful. The definitions are often very long; I don’t know how that will work w/ LingQs.

In its current form, we won’t be able to integrate this dictionary in. Basically, a dictionary can be added to the site if the term itself appears in the URL for the search result.

If someone feels up to the challenge, they can try to create a web portal for the dictionary. So long as they can get it to function properly and have the search term appear in the URL, we’d be happy to add it to our list of dictionaries. Though, that may not be an easy task :wink:

Alex, That was quick! Thanks very much for looking into it.

Glad to help!

Alex, many thanks. Whitaker’s Words is working great.