Too long to be Beginner 1?

I suppose this lesson is too long for the chosen level, even if the language used is suitable to beginners.
Maybe, since it contains several stories, it could be split into as many shorter lessons.

I would make each paragraph a separate lesson, if possible, and I would eliminate the English in the texts. This may be too much work however.

There is English on the recording, which does not matter since it does not mess up our statistics.

1 Like

Steve, if you give me a pencil for Latin, I can do this later.

Michele, I would have thought that it is nice for beginners to have longer texts. Particularly if you feel the language is suitable. Splitting it up would be a shame in my eyes.

I am a beginner too, though not in Latin. As a beginner, I appreciate something I can get my teeth into. The problem with the beginner library is that the texts are all just a couple of minutes long. I bet you I am not the only one who feels this way!

I am like you, Maria, but I know Steve and many other members prefer very short Beginner 1 texts.

@mikebond - I’ve now given you editor access for all languages. That should make it easier :slight_smile:

Wow, thanks! Even for Arabic? :wink:

1 Like

Intermediate 1, surely? I like it though :wink:

Why Intermediate 1, Helen? You mean because of the length? It’s still too easy to be Intermediate 1. Now I can split it into shorter lessons, as Steve wished, but it seems other learners like longer beginner lessons (Maria, and me too), so I’m not sure of what I should do with this lesson.

I have now translated the English titles into Latin, so there is no English in the transcript. Please, let me know if I should split this lesson into ten parts (and remove the English parts of the audio files at the same time).

I have used a scientific approach, based on the hypothesis that if I can’t understand a word of it it’s probably intermediate 1 or higher.

Do you mean you read that lesson and couldn’t understand a word? Well, beginners 1 aren’t supposed to understand at once. If I started studying Chinese on LingQ, I wouldn’t understand a word even if I read “Eating Out” lessons.
The language used is really simple (even if not too simple). I think it’s easier than the “Who is She?” collection.

Well, the Latin version of the RAven that you’ve uploaded is intermediate 2, and it’s shorter and contains fewer unique words than “Perseus” at beginner 1.

When I set the level of a lesson/collection, I consider the overall difficulty level (morphology, syntax, vocabulary…), not just the length or the number of unknown words.
I think this lesson is just much longer than the average Beginner 1 lesson, but not more difficult. That’s why I asked if I should split it into several parts.

I set the level of the Raven to Intermediate 2 because it’s poetry, but I will look at it tomorrow. I may lower it to Intermediate 1.

Someone should create a Roman version of “Who is she?” and “Eating out”! :slight_smile:

(Only half joking - if you can translate Harry Potter into Latin, then…)

I have already started translating “Who is She?” but it may take long to be completed. I have also considered translating “Greetings and Goodbyes” and “Eating out”. :slight_smile:

That’s great Mike! :wink:

I think Latin is going to be a great success at LingQ. (But I still think Steve should consider having Ancient Greek too!)

Have you already voted for ancient Greek, Jay?

Michele,

I think it’s really great that you’ve translated the headings such that they now appear in Latin and not English and I’ve just rated the whole audio and accompanying text as 5 stars.

I’ve already established that “J” comes from the Latin “I”, and that the suffix “bat” represents the past tense as in “domiebat” (slept) and “timebat” (feared), “turbabat” (troubled) and that king comes from “regi”. One can nuance one’s language by using “kingly” (Anglo-Saxon) “royal” (French) or “regal” (Italian); so much falls into place by simply analysing the text you’ve placed in the library. Perhaps in the distant future, I’ll have time for Latin. I wonder how much Latin an Italian can figure out just by sticking with the text and breaking it down.

I’ve just heard you read some Latin prayers.
It’s really wonderful Michele.

Maria, reading your forum posts is always very interesting and rewarding. I had no idea you said “regal” in English…
An Italian with an average education could understand quite a lot even without having studied Latin.
The suffix -ba(t) is for imperfect, opposed to perfect, but it isn’t the same distinction as the one you have in English between simple past and present perfect.
When I correct texts written by native speakers of English or Slavic languages, I realize that the Italian verbal system is very difficult to learn.

Anyway, back to my question. Shall I split the lesson into shorter ones or not?