Why is it all in arabic text?... How do I learn to speak it if I cant read arabic

Hello, I just signed up with lingq to learn how to speak arabic… however when I go to try to learn everything is in arabic text… I cant read arabic writing how am i suppose to learn what words mean if i cant read how to pronounce the word…

Example
Kitaab

If this is written in arabic text I will have no idea what it says or how to pronounce it unless it is written as ‘kitaab’ with the recording of how to pronounce it… does this make sense?

… As a beginner I cannot learn arabic when it is all arabic text because obviously i dont know how to write/read arabic

Help! Is there a place to see the english text for arabic words instead of all arabic text that i cant read?

Maybe learning the arabic script would be a good start?

If there is audio you can indeed learn how to speak. Connect what you hear with what you see. Besides, I’m pretty sure there are basic lessons explaining how the script works, yes, here’s a collection:
http://www.lingq.com/learn/ar/store/62009/

Check this thread for hints…

@Lyla

You could always try using Linguaphone’s Arabic course - the one reviewed by Prof Arguelles on Youtube.

This has a book with Arabic writing, and another one with a completely romanised version of the same content, thus making it possible to complete the whole thing without having to read any ‘real’ Arabic at all (if you don’t want to do so.)

Having said that, if one is really serious about learning Arabic, then I guess the script has got to be mastered at some stage…

Learn the script and then just start reading without the vowels. Learning with transliteration is a waste of time. Move onto the real thing as quickly as possible.

I agree with Imyirtseshem. You can’t learn Arabic (or other languages with different alphabets) only with transliteration. Sooner or later you’ll have to learn the script. Except if you only want to learn a few greetings, but in this case I’m not sure LinqQ is the most appropriate website.

@Imyirtseshem - I agree (but it might be easier said than done…)

I’m going the same route with Hebrew. It’s got the exact same problems.

I have had the same problems with Japanese. If I were doing it all over again I would learn Hiragana script as my first step. And actually writing it, as Steve recommends, with pencil and paper. You only have to learn it once, then it’s with you always, like the Force.