Onzalige idee

“Mevrouw kwam op het onzalige idee 's ochtends minder gebakken aardappels te maken, maar ze beter te bewaren.”
– Anne Frank, 30 December 1943

Hoe kun je ‘onzalig’ het best vertalen in het Engels? Ik kan honderd woorden bedenken voor een ‘ellendige’ idee of plan, maar wat is volgens jullie HET beste synoniem voor ‘onzalig’ (in het Engels)?

Onzalig komt af van het woordt blessful (zalig). Voor onzalig zie ik ‘miserable’ als vertaling, wat goed is, maar wat de verwijzing naar het geloof verliest. Ik zie ook ‘wretched’, maar dat vind ik wat te sterk als vertaling. ‘Disastrous’ zie ik ook als vertaling, maar vind ik ook niet helemaal goed. Ik zie ook ‘unblessed’, ‘unholy’ als vertaling, maar wat het ‘miserable’ gevoel weer niet heeft.
Moeilijk om dus de perfecte vertaling te kiezen.

1 Like

Looking back at this, I think maybe ‘god-forsaken’ or ‘blessed’ best captures the meaning, since zalig means blessed, but ‘blessed’ (as well as ‘god-forsaken’) is also used as a mild curse, as in “not a blessed thing,” essentially the same as ‘damned’ or ‘bloody.’ The authorized translation says ‘ridiculous’ which conveys the same idea, but not the same feeling, I don’t think.

Also ‘mevrouw’ as a form of address (referring to Mrs. Van Pels / Van Daan) is difficult to translate. In the authorized translation it says “Mrs. van D.” which I find unacceptable. I would just retain the original form of address, with perhaps a footnote when it is first used in the diary.

Mevrouw came up with the god-forsaken idea of making less fried potatoes in the morning, in order to conserve them better.

Mijn Nederlandse vrienden gebruikten het woord “onzalig” niet, dus
ik heb geen ervaring met dit woord. “Unselig” bestaat in het Duits ook, maar ik gebruik het woord niet.

Ik heb nooit “god-forsaken” in het Engels gehoord. Misschien wordt het in de litaratuur gebruikt?

In het Engels wordt het vooral in een retorische vraag gebruikt, zoals: Whose god-forsaken idea was it (to do such and such a thing)? Zo kun je het opzoeken op twitter: “god-forsaken idea”

https://twitter.com/search?q="god-forsaken%20idea"

1 Like

Bedankt voor de uitleg, brucenator. We helpen elkaar wederzijds met het beantwoorden van taalvragen, dat is prachtig!

Mevrouw perhaps is best translated with ’ The woman’ came up etc…? (in the sense of ‘this person’ ’
‘god-forsaken’ is a good translation by the way for onzalig.

I’m really glad you’re going through some of these Ask a Tutor posts, because some of them have been neglected for a long time.

Thanks for confirming ‘onzalig.’ Sometimes translations like ‘god-forsaken’ don’t occur to you when you’re reading something, but then it comes to you later. At least that’s what happens with me.

I still find mevrouw very problematic to translate, namely when it is used to refer to Mrs. X. ‘This woman’ doesn’t seem to do.

The other day I was reading what someone wrote about whether translating is boring. “Dat hangt af van de soort tekst. Moeilijkere teksten zijn vaak leuker omdat de uitdaging groter is dan,” and at first I was thinking “groter dan wat?” And then I realized he just meant “then.” Harder texts tend to be more fun because then the challenge is greater.

Sometimes the placement of words like that throws me off.