Lots of questions

Hoi! Hoe gaat het?
I’ve got some doubts about how to form the present continous in Dutch (I’m studying, You’re eating, We’re watching TV, etc)

1. Can I use the form “zijn aan het” every time I want to indicate that sense?
  2. If yes, where does the object go? Like, which sentence would be correct: “Je bent aan het eten een appel.” or “Je bent een appel aan het eten” or “Je bent aan het een appel eten.”?
  3. I also heard that this tense can be formed by simply using the present tense. When and how does that occurs?
  4. When and how should I use verbs like “zitten, liggen” to form that sense? And how is the word order in those constructions?

Thank you all for helping me,

Miguel

Hoi Miguel,

Ik werk ook mee aan het produceren van Nederlandse podcasts en ik wil graag een deel van je vragen beantwoorden.

1. Ja, met “zijn aan het” kun je altijd een “Present Progressive / Present Continous Tense” in het Nederlands formuleren.

2. De correcte zinnen zijn:

a) “Je bent een appel aan het eten.”
b) “Ik ben een taal aan het bestuderen”.
c) “Hij is een brief aan het schrijven.”
d) “Haar moeder is televisie aan het kijken.”

Maar je kunt bijvoorbeeld ook zeggen:

• Je bent ermee bezig om een appel te eten.
  • Je zit hier een appel te eten.

Beide alternatieven hebben ook de betekenis van de “Present Progressive / Continous Tense”.

Dus het gaat altijd om handelingen die nu bezig zijn en die wat langer duren.

Fasulye

1 Like

Hi Miguel,
l am helping a beginner student through this site. l find it very nice because for each word and exercise there are pronunciations included. l hope it will be useful for you, sorry if you knew this site already.
Good luck with your studies.
regards, Mar

Hi Miguel,

I made some examples about ‘zijn aan het’:

Just let me know if you have additional questions.

Good luck with your Dutch!

Silvia

Thank you everybody for answering my questions…
@Fasulye: Thanks for correcting my sentences…
@Mar (or OceanBlue?: I didn’t know about tis website… Sure going to use it! :wink:
@Siliva: Really useful lesson… Sorry I didn’t look in the library- not enough time :frowning:

I still have lots of questions, mainly related to word order… I know that the normal order is time-manner-place or time-place-manner (i’m still struggling to get used to it), but where do I put the object? Between finite formation and the middle part or between the middle part and other verbs? And does words like altijd and nooit fit into time? Thank you all for taking your time to answer my questions…

Miguel