Query re the meaning of "d'r zitten..."

Hello All, Does anyone know how to literally translate the phrase “d’r zitten”, which is used three times in the video’s transcript, e.g “Ja, d’r zitten heel veel mensen…”. Best wishes!, Loggerhead (Harold)

Here it is used in as a synonyme for ‘er’: Er zitten heel veel mensen. Het is een aanduiding van plaats.

See also: d'r - WikiWoordenboek
The explanation here is a bit difficult, but the examples seem to be good.

Good luck,

Silvia

Hello again,

Because I thought this was a good question, and to start adding a little bit more of contents for beginners (yes, 1 minute and 20seconds!), a small lesson on the use of “d’r”

Enjoy.

Silvia

1 Like

Thank you, Silvia.

Somehow I was left with the impression that “d’r” means “there is”.
There many little words in Dutch which send big waves of confusion to my brain. “d’r” was definitely one of them.

Regards,

Irina

Good to hear Irina that one of the confusions has been resolved. Just let me know if you want me to give some special attention to other words or structures.

Best Regards,

Silvia

For instance the word “even” is very suspicious to me. According to the dictionary it has endless meanings, such as: alike, momentarily, so, even, a moment, a while, all the same, as, equally, that and the list goes on and on. Naturally when I found it in a sentence none of the meanings matched, so after a while I started thinking this evil “even” must fall under the category: Dutch words with no meaning in isolation. Now I ignore it completely although I don’t think it’s very healthy.

I must say that the English “even” is much more friendly. :slight_smile:

Regards,

Irina

Yes you are right, it has more meanings than in English. Tonight I have no time, but I will make a lesson explaining the different uses! Good idea.
Regards,
Silvia

Hello Irina,

I had some time tonight, so I made a short lesson with some examples of the word ‘even’ in Dutch.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Silvia

Hi Silvia,

Congratulations, your lesson about “even” is very explicit. You even try to pull me away from the English meaning of the word.
So, “even” never means “here”? (Google Translate insists it can mean “here”).

Thank you.

Yes, I looked up that translation, and this is wrong. I do not know how this has been added like that.

In Dutch you could only have ‘even’ and ‘hier’ together:
Kom even hier.

Which can be translated as ‘Come here please’. This is the case where “even” makes the phrase more friendly (compared to

Kom hier.

But no, definitely, that entry is wrong, the Dutch ‘even’ is never a synonym for ‘hier’

Well, that would explain a few things.

Yet, “even” worked perfectly as “here” sometimes.

Uf.