How to pronouce the dutch R?

Hello everyone…
I was studying my vocabulary and I got a doubt on pronounciation: how is letter R pronouced?
I was looking on Dutch Grammar • Consonants and I saw that this letter, before a vowel, can be pronouced like the spanish or like the french R. Here Learn Dutch - Pronunciation of R - YouTube it says you can either on you like.
I wanted to know it this is a set rule or it’s just something more related to accents, dialects, etc.
I’m learning the Netherlands accent (general at the beginning), so if you could please help me with that I’d be very glad :wink:
Miguel

Hello Miguel,

It seems to be very complicated, and depending from where you are:

I know that sometimes people do not like the sound of Dutch, because it is too much in the throat. I think part of this is the sound of the R as well.

So I would just advice you to listen to texts (possibly slowly spoken) and try to imitate. You can usually pronounce the ‘r’ as soft as possible, that will do.
If you want, you can send me some phrases, which I could record for you. (I am from the Rotterdam area).

Good luck,

Silvia

Thank you, Silvia!
Well, if it’s not a problem for you, could you please record these phrases for me? They might be kind of non-sense, but they’ve got a lot of r’s and some others sounds I find ifficult.

“Haar huis ir heel geel.
De lerares is geen beroende verkoopster.
Hij is eem droevige dokter, maar hij is niet populair.
De ingenieur is erg rijke, maar zijn vriendin is heel arm.
Ze is een erg creative schrijfster, maar ze is nit heerlijk.
De zangeres is heel druk.”

And thank you again, you, Fasulye and harbargor are being very useful for me, and If you someday decide to learn portuguese, I’m here to help you.

Thank you,
Miguel

Hi Miguel,

I have recorded your lesson and three others about previous questions in this forum:

Succes ermee!

Groetjes,
Silvia

1 Like

Thank you!

Now time to practise…

Groeten,
Miguel