How do you check the gender of a noun?

How do you check the gender of a noun? I have 2 large Czech-English dictionaries and neither gives the gender of Czech nouns. (Most dictionaries seem written for Czech speakers learning English, so they don’t need gender.) I don’t see resources online either.

You can try this online dictionary: pes překlad z češtiny do angličtiny – Seznam Slovník
For example, I entered “pes” (= dog) and you can find there besides synonymes, antonymes, etc. also “rod mužský”, which means masculine gender. (rod ženský = feminine, rod střední = neuter).

2 Likes

I have used Wordrefrence for Spanish and French. They also have a Czech-English dictionary that show the gender of the nouns. One of the reasons I love to use Wordrefrence is that it also shows common idioms and phrases with the words that your looking for.

Might it be governed by similar rules to the ones that apply to Russian nouns? There you can tell (95% certainty?) the gender of a noun from its ending in the nominative (the one shown in the dictionary). Once you know those ‘rules’, off you go! Good luck.

I am not sure about the probability in the Czech language but there are definitely signs which can help you. For example, ending -a is usually related to the feminine gender. But there are always exceptions (předseda - chairperson (m), děda - grandpa (m), etc.).

These exceptions refer to persons which gender is known. So, děda MUST be masculine.
I guess škoda is feminine because it ends with -a and is not a person.

Hi kitty,sorry i didn’t get back to you about the previous question,but we had a major snowstorm in the northeast and Im kind of swamped with the backlog at the office. A wonderful online dictionary is Lingea.slovniky.CZ It has all genders and has great examples of words in use. If you wish to invest,try Fronek’s slovnik,big ,bad and complete. The middle section has examples of those nasty exceptions. As Petr astutely points out there are a fair amount of exceptions and many that don’t make sense in our modern age. Have fun and I will answer that other question soon,Nazdar!

Are you sure http://lingea.slovniky.cz/ is the correct address?

Ahoj Sergey,Vidim ze, take se ucite Ceske? Vyborny! I made a mistake giving the addy Its www.slovniky.lingea.cz Je mi lito……Im sure you will like the slovnik,some very useful information there.

1 Like

January 31
Thank you everyone for your help! In return, I want to share a link which a Czech-speaker here just sent me. It gives the gender of nouns and parts of speech plus sample uses of the word. It’s multilingual: Czech into or out of about 24 different languages. The drawback is that everything on the site except the translations is in Czech. However, I find many of the suggested sentences used as illustrations are interesting. Many are more complex than I could create for myself. I copied and saved some, or portions of them, so that I have correct examples (or so I hope) and also can stretch my vocabulary a bit in the process. Here is the entry for otázka:

The Czech diacritics are messed up on copying that URL, so if it does not work, try:

and go from there. It’s pretty intuitive.

Is there some kind of permanent “bulletin board” where we can collect and post all these helpful references?

Don’t know whether this is what you are after :

http://www.lingq.com/forum/3/8297/?jump_to=5#post-197819

but there’s an impressive collection of links; otherwise there are the resources we can access from within the import page.

Sanne T --Where is the “import page”? I see only the pop up box for adding words. Also the dictionary button gives a small dropdown box with dictionaries to add. Can’t see anything else.

1.Can you give a link to the page you are referring to? Or explain how to access it?
2.How do we add our own dictionary, for example the one cistyzuby recommends above? It is not a choice on the dictionary dropdown.
http://www.slovniky.lingea.cz/

The link you gave above to a forum request made 5 years ago isn’t what I meant by a bulletin board. It needs to be more organized. Classified first by language, then with subheads.

Look at the right side on the page

That’s it???!! I don’t see a list of resources for Czech, or indeed much of anything at all. I see 4 links, one of them for the FIVE year old thread asking for recommendations for ALL languages.

Czech is a relatively new language here. It is the members who suggest material to be added. The dearth of resources may reflect the smallish (?) number of Czech learners. It looks as if not many had bothered to make Support aware of external sources. .

If you ask Support to add a particular dictionary to a particular language, they’ll generally oblige.

You can get to the Import pages by using two of the icons on the top of the page (Learn and Tasks). As I have not ever used the Czech slot, I was not aware of its limited resources.

P.S. Moderators are ordinary members, not super beings like Alex, Zoran and Lykke, let alone Mark and Steve, who have the power to move the earth here …

2 Likes

To the “SUPER BEINGS”:

More QUESTIONS on site navigation and procedures:

1. How do I find out who the other Czech learners are?
  2. How do I add a dictionary not on the list?
  3. If I invite native Czech speakers who might be willing to hold conversations and correct writing, even create lessons, where do they find information about doing this?