Site Healthcare.gov Enrollment Falls Far Short of Expectations, Only 26,794 Sign Up

Only 26,794 people, a far smaller number than expected, successfully chose a health insurance plan using the glitch-plagued Healthcare.gov website in its first month, the Obama administration announced today.

In total, 106,185 people signed up for health insurance in October, and most of those individuals – 79,391 – used the 15 state-run websites, not the troubled federal site.

As problems with Healthcare persisted into its second month, it became clear that the site would not meet the administration’s own projects.

Read fresh documentation : hayghe

For only $100 million I’ll build the US Gov a better site

Yeah, that’s funny. No time to build a proper website… for $600 million - or whatever the number is at. Clearly you have not worked for the Department of Defense, Homeland Security, NSA, or any other government agency and you have NO idea what you’re talking about. I used to work for CGI (that company that “didn’t have enough time”) and trust me when I say – they took the US gov for every penny they could and had ample time to deliver.

What sickens me more is that they won the support contract to maintain the site.

How many lines of code have you written your life kimo? None? Please do us all a favor and delete your post as soon as possible – we all know it’s coming

I built my website using Wordpress. It was free and it only took ten minutes. Maybe they should have done that.

I have to agree with Spatterson on this, and I have experience in programming and web development as well. The only excuse is pure incompetence, and at the ridiculous contract price, I have a hard time believing there weren’t some inside deals and corruption going on as well.

There was one day I distinctly remember while working at CGI as a developer for a weapons platform for the US Army…

a huge palette shipment came into our little office… and we all said “what the hell is that?” Well we called back to “home base” in Oklahoma. Apparently they “had some money left over in the budget” Turns out the palette was a huge laser printer – you know, the works. Copier, scanner, fax, emails the documents, For the next year and a half (or more, I left the company) it sat in the corner, on the palette, never plugged in, never used. We were software developers… what the hell do we ever print?

Yeah, now someone convince me poor little CGI couldn’t build a website for SIX HUNDRED MILLION DOLLARS. That’s more than the operating budget for facebook for the FIRST 6 YEARS. What a joke.

The old adage: Fast, cheap, good. Pick 3. The government just said fuck it, let’s just throw money at the problem.

Oh and someone who’s really into software development… tell me, is a CMMI level 3 contractor really the company you want developing a WEBSITE? CMMI is for rockets, missiles, space ships… not WEBSITES. What a joke.

“Wrong on all counts. I have written code (long time ago) and my thesis was about software-sizing methodologies.”
Please tell me what code you’ve written so I can stay FAR FAR away from that system.

“I was a “lifer” with the military—operations, plenty of time downrange, and also acquisition of weapon systems & information systems.”
Good for you. I’ve spent years writing the software for those weapon systems.

“I find it entertaining how folks at LingQ use the word “never” so much when they encounter somebody who disagrees with them or their approach.”
Oh, boo hoo.

“Back to you. You’re a bright young man. I’m positive that you write code much better than I ever did in my wildest dreams back in ancient times with Pascal & COBOL.”
At least we agree on one thing.

" But perhaps you could provide your opinions without so much venom and false exaggeration. "
Actually, I’m just trolling your posts because I find your message board behavior completely annoying. Go ahead, delete your posts. I’ll continue to troll them

“However, I’m not too shabby in regards to gauging realistic time and effort of software projects, and in this area, yes, I do know what I’m talking about.”
No, no you don’t. You do not build a website under CMMI level 3. Period. End of story. No one in their right mind would do that. Oh… except the US government.

“I understand your aggravation with the results of the ObamaCare website development contract, but, realistically, who in your eyes would have been / is in the best position to lead the software sustainability effort?”
Who? LOL. The Swiss. That’s who

Sorry my wife distracted me. One more thing
“Or would it have been better to let them off the hook and bring in another company to fumble around with what the developer accomplished?”

Great logic. Exactly the logic the US needs right? The shit’s SO BAD that no other more qualified company would ever be able to figure out the garbage CGI put out… so let’s give them the contract. I tell you man… I tell you what. That’s a noble prize level thinking right there. Kimojimo for the Nobel Prize in Economics in 2014. Hell, if obama can get the peace prize, surely you could be awarded the economic prize

I think if Ned Stark was able to build the ironman suit in a few days while locked in a cave on his own with few resources, an entire company building a website in a short time is not too much to ask.

1 Like

@kimojima - Whoa! As usual I have nothing intelligent to say, but thanks for the memories! Those were the days when I worked for my federal govt (heck, early 80s!) using MVS, Jes2, COBOL & Pascal for our Honeywell mainframe computer (you know, the one that took up 2 building floors, lol). I also had security clearance by ASIO - & the fun part is that absolutely everything I’ve just said is true! Ah, the good 'ol days…well, beats housework, ha!

I am too young to have really experienced the days of BASIC, but I do remember playing some QBASIC game where two gorillas throw explosive bananas at each other.

@kimo - nah, but I did come 2nd in my high school state Japanese speech contest…does that count? :)~ (Btw, the winner had Japanese parents, ha!)

As far as computing in highschool…it consisted of filling in squares on card with pencil, sheesh. How ancient.
And yes, I hated those green screens at work, and pulling 5 day night-shift every 2 or 3 wks. But the pay was fantastic - squandered the lot.

@Colin - I remember that game as well:

Memories eh.

Anyway, I would like to thank ‘cloryncwoulky’ for his or her (or probably its) spam post for starting off this interesting discussion.