When+ what? Please help me translate this :)

when+ what? Please help me translate this :slight_smile:

I am not sure what exactly is unclear to you, so Iโ€™ll try to explain everything.

์–ธ์ œ์˜€์„๊นŒ
โ† ์–ธ์ œ์ด์—ˆ์„๊นŒ
โ† ์–ธ์ œ(when) + ์ด์—ˆ์„๊นŒ (โ€œwasโ€ in interogative ending). -์„๊นŒ denotes asking oneself, not of others.

์ด์—ˆ์„๊นŒ: self-interrogation form of ์ด์—ˆ๋‹ค (โ€œwasโ€).
์ด์—ˆ๋‹ค: past tense of ์ด๋‹ค: โ€œisโ€
Ex: It was last year that I met him. โ†’ ๋‚ด๊ฐ€ ๊ทธ๋ฅผ ๋งŒ๋‚ฌ๋˜ ๊ฒƒ์€ ์ง€๋‚œํ•ด์˜€๋‹ค or ๋‚ด๊ฐ€ ๊ทธ๋ฅผ ๋งŒ๋‚œ ๊ฒƒ์€ ์ง€๋‚œํ•ด์˜€๋‹ค.
โ€ฆI wonder when it was that I met him? โ†’ ๋‚ด๊ฐ€ ๊ทธ๋ฅผ ๋งŒ๋‚œ ๊ฒƒ์€ ์–ธ์ œ์˜€์„๊นŒ?

So, ์–ธ์ œ์˜€์„๊นŒ translates to โ€œ(I wonder) when it wasโ€, or โ€œWhen was it?โ€.

Translation of the whole sentence may be:
โ€œ์šฐ๋ฆฌ ์ธ์ƒ์˜ ๊ฐ€์žฅ ์•„๋ฆ„๋‹ค์› ๋˜ ์‹œ์ ˆ์€ ๊ณผ์—ฐ ์–ธ์ œ์˜€์„๊นŒโ€ โ†’ I wonder when the most beautiful time of our life (really) was.
Or, โ€œWhen really was the most beautiful time of our life?โ€.

๊ณผ์—ฐ means โ€œreally/just/exactlyโ€ in questions, or โ€œindeedโ€ in plain sentences. It is one of those words hard to translate.

By the way, this ์–ธ์ œ์˜€์„๊นŒ, or ์–ธ์ œ์˜€๋‚˜ which has the same meaning with a more casual ending, appears quite often in song lyrics and poems. Hereโ€™s one line from a beautiful song (โ€œ๊ทธํ•ด ๋ด„์—โ€: That Yearโ€™s Spring) starting with this phrase.

์–ธ์ œ์˜€๋‚˜ ๊ทธ๋Œ€์™€ ์ด ๊ธธ์„ ๊ฑธ์—ˆ๋˜ ๋‚  (equivalent to ๊ทธ๋Œ€์™€ ์ด ๊ธธ์„ ๊ฑธ์—ˆ๋˜ ๋‚ ์ด ์–ธ์ œ์˜€๋‚˜)
โ†’ When was it, the day I walked this road with you

If youโ€™re interested, you can listen to it at One Fine Spring Day MV [Subtheme] - YouTube. Everything is clearly pronounced in it.

1 Like

Thank you for the detailed explanation!! I was hung up the contracted form and the -์„๊นŒ ending! 2 Things too many happening for a beginner2^^ I wish there were a dictionary that does this deconstruction for meโ€ฆthe Naver dictionary really canโ€™t handle forms very wellโ€ฆdo know of an alternative?

Yeah, I can see that the various stem forms in Korean can be a challenge for new learners.
It could also be difficult for dictionaries to explain all of them in an easy and nice way.
I havenโ€™t found any site or books that do it very well - but I havenโ€™t looked very much either.

For the dictionaries at least, I think the two big Korean portals Daum (๋‹ค์Œ) and Naver (๋„ค์ด๋ฒ„) are probably the best.
Of the two, I am more familiar with Daum, and testing them a bit and reading some blogs, Daum might be better for Korean-English lookup.
If I google โ€œ๋‹ค์Œ์˜์–ด ์„๊นŒโ€, for example, I get to useful information while with Naver I seem to have harder time.
It is difficult to say in one brush, but ๋‹ค์Œ์˜์–ด์‚ฌ์ „ might be something you want to check.

And good luck with your Korean learning :slight_smile:

1 Like