How to learn Korean characters?

I just started with “Who is she 1” in Korean. But how can I learn Korean characters here? Is there some kind of transliteration?
Thank you.
Murat

Lingq wont teach you the alphabet But if you just google Korean alphabet you’ll come up with a bunch of links that can give you a fairly good idea of what each letter sounds like. It shouldn’t take you very long to learn this alphabet. After a few hours of studying you should be good to go. Obviously you wont be good at it right away but after a bit of time things should start to stick permanently…

Here are some links…

http://hompi.sogang.ac.kr/korean/ ( click on introductory korean )
http://www.omniglot.com/writing/korean.htm
Korean Alphabet

I Learned the alphabet using the Sogang website listed above a long time ago before lingq even existed.

good luck.

Thank you, kerero, for these informations, will help me to learn Korean.

I think LingQ should create a special start page for evry language with advice how to proceed to get really started, e.g. where to learn the alphabets, infos about Pinyin, Hiragana, Arabic, Korean scripts, how to type on a computer, web ressources etc

Thanx again Murat

I don’t speak for lingq but as cool as it would be for lingq to be an Alll inclusive language learning program , your idea ( although it probably has already been thought of by previous members ) raises more questions and problems …

Who would create these extra pages of info for all the languages? It’s a good Idea but would take alot of time and unless theres somekind of reward for helping to create such pages … I don’t think anyone will be putting in that time for nothing. If these extra pages were to be created by the lingq staff, I sure hope it would only be available for paying members.

I suppose someone could start a new lesson for the Korean alphabet if they wanted to… Any takers ??? =)

With that said, I think more of lingq as a tool to import ,save words, review and community… It’s certainly not the only place for reference! Google is your best friend and it’s sooo easy to find the info you need for many languages don’t be afraid to use it in a separate window while using lingq.

Good luck with your learning!

It’s dead easy to enter “korean alphabet” in a major search engine. Mine had this as the first hit:

I would expect that LingQ gives users some guidance how to tackle a new script, like Korean, Arabic, Japanese or Chinese. Learning Korean I ask myself whether I should use some transliteration to help me memorizing the pronounciation. But LingQ has no answers to this question.

Why would you want to be told what you should do? I thought we were independent learners here. I have taught myself Cyrillic and Arabic. No doubt, others have done the same and more, so where is the problem?

1 Like

Yea, honestly, learning a new alphabet/script is one of the most satisfying quick rewards you can get from studying a new language, and a task you can do by yourself as an solo learner. Again, no magic answers, take a look for some charts on the internet, you’ll be fine. Korean hangul especially is a joy to learn and has a genuine logical construction, perfect for not getting you frustrated.

I think there was an idea with Steve talking to learners from lingq about each language, and maybe having a little starter talk for each one, not sure how far it got.

@SanneT “I thought we were independent learners here”

If LingQ only provides me with a lesson with characters that I don’t understand, and an audio without any transliteration (and translation) to better memorize it —, where is the benefit of LingQ compared to a textbook and a CD. The textbook gives me more information on writing etc and a path to learn (and I am an independent learner too).

I don’t see a benefit. The only: I see the words that I have saved. Otherwise I have to find out myself. Maybe LingQ is better if you know the basics of a language, but for beginners there must be a bit more guidance.

Murat.

“(…)where is the benefit of LingQ compared to a textbook and a CD. The textbook gives me more information on writing etc and a path to learn (and I am an independent learner too).”

This is however a good question. It’s not that it’s difficult to find things to read (and listen to) on Internet. Personally, I liked the word-count (see below), but have always used several sources in combination. Now I’ve degraded my account for various reasons.

“The only: I see the words that I have saved. Otherwise I have to find out myself.”

Right. There are of course other alternatives to this word-count tool. The other day, somebody posted this link:

(don’t ask me how it works - I haven’t had the time to try it out yet)

All this being said, don’t let the alphabet be a major obstacle in your learning process. It’s usually easy to learn a new one, and for what it’s worth, you’ll probably find better information somewhere else.

@murat1

What’s wrong with opening google and looking up info for yourself? Are you a paying member on lingq and feel you’re not getting your moneys worth?? Just curious…

Honestly, I think If you’re learning a new language with an alphabet you dont know. I would look for as much resources from everywhere possible. Not only lingq… I would buy a few books, GOOGLE ALOT etc… Lingq doesn’t offer you everything you might want when learning a language. It doesn’t cater to everyones personal language learning tastes. Alot of people want Grammar notes and explanations and what not, others want a clear step by step way to learn a language ect… And yes I also think lingq is the perfect place for a beginners with a tiny bit of knowledge in their target language.

As for Korean, Its honestly an Easy language to get started in. It only gets harder the more you know. You need only a few hours to learn the alphabet/sounds, learn how to make syllables and just know know that korean is Structured Subject Object Verb… You could have figured all of this out with a simple 2 second google search. Not that I’m defending Lingq for not having this info available here but I honestly dont think its absolutely needed here… However to go against what i just said, Yes it would be cool for beginners to have place within lingq to have basic notes on the language you want to learn. Although I think this is where the community (forums) comes in to help and point you in the right direction if you weren’t able to find it yourself on google… As I did with some links to the korean alphabet…

I’m a basic paying member on lingq for korean. I dont even use the lingq library, the tutors ect… I just use Lingq to save my words , sometimes do flashcards, keep track of my learning and the lingq community is quite helpful. Basically just use it as a system to organize my learning process which to me is worth the 10$ a month. If i were to start a new language like Japanese I would definitely start by using Google to learn the alphabet and get some basic info about the language before diving into some basic lessons here at lingq…

just my 2 cents

All I can say is that I started Czech one week ago, and am making great progress, more than I can remember making after just one week with other languages. Czech is the first language that I am starting from absolute scratch at LingQ. I am devouring Jarda and Pandora’s content. I am LingQing words, and reviewing them in flash cards. I am listening and reading, on my computer and using iLingQ on my iPad. I personally do not pay much attention to the word count. I know from experience that seeing my previously saved words highlighted in yellow in my reading will eventually ensure that I learn them, as I continue reading and listening. I do not worry about what I forget or do not know. It will all fall into place in time.

It is up to each person to figure out if LingQ helps them, if LingQ is a worthwhile part of their language learning experience.

1 Like

Thanks for all the advice.

Murat

I downloaded an a free app on iTunes that taught me hangul. I was able to learn it withing a week. I review what I learned every week since. The app name is " hangul" you can’t miss it as the avatar is a long nice red clown face person wiht buggy eyes.

I learned the hangul in one or two weeks on my train ride with a spaced repetition app on Android called Ankidroid, I recommend a deck with audio.

I promise you that learning Hangul first will save you tons of heart ache. It will only take about 4 hours to become familiar with Hangul. Then just keep using it until if becomes easier and faster.

Learning Hangul - Learning Hangul | Hanguk Babble Wrote this when I just started learning Korean a month earlier.

Just for fun, see all the Korean learners who wrote on Hangul day Hangul Day – Everybody gives it a try | Hanguk Babble Here is a sentence for learning to type Hangul: 키스의 고유 조건은 입술끼리 만나야 되고특별한 요령은 필요치 않다. It is similar to “The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog”. Has all the hangul letters.