What does rant mean? i didn't get it in this

what does rant mean?
i didn’t get it in this sentence " the rant on language learning " . .

It means something that’s been repeated over and over again.

1 Like

thanks

I could not help thinking that the word in the context does not have any other meaning than “useful tips”.
But, presently I consulted my dictionary and found that “rant” as a verb means “to speak or declaim extravagantly or violently; talk in a wild or vehement way”.

1 Like

Yes, when we refer to something as a rant, it has a negative connotation for us.

1 Like

yeah as was stated before I don’t think it specifically means to repeat something over and over, but more “speak or shout at length in an angry, impassioned way.”

1 Like

thanks

thanks

A rant is speech, or perhaps a writing, that is too long, and not well thought out. If I’m upset about something and I give a logical coherent reasons why I find that objectionable, that would not be a rant. If, however, If I continue writing or speaking against something for a very long time because I’m emotional, but the my speech or writing has very very little substantive content. Then that is a rant. For example, if your friend was upset about something and wrote you a 3 page email about, but when you read the email, you found that the substance of his objections really would have taken much less than half of a page, then you could call that email a rant.

2 Likes

wow, i got it, it’s clear !
thank you a lot for responding . .

As many have already pointed out rant does not mean something that’s been repeated over and over again. I remember that I heard it in one of Steve’s video’s. He said something like “I usually try to keep my speeches well organised rather then just running them on although here I am having one of my rants on language learning where I just running them on (he referred to his thoughts on language learning)”. Therefore I understood that it meant something that’s been repeated over and over again. Obviously I was wrong.

1 Like