What is that supposed to mean (that lives up to

what is that supposed to mean (that lives up to the buzz)

1. Bees make a buzzing sound - they buzz.
  2. A buzz = a sense of excitement, of things going on. “This is giving me quite a buzz!”
  3. This is an article about honey, so there’s a play on words here, as well.

“The buzz about honey is …” = "The latest, fascinating news about honey is … "

1. Some people use “buzz” instead of “whizz” when they talk about doing something quickly. “Last night I (quickly) whizzed into town” = “Last night I (quickly) buzzed into town.”

Edit:
5. “Will you give me a buzz?” means “Will you call me / give me a ring?” and has nothing to do with excitement :slight_smile:

Great explanation. Very good teacher hahaha thanks :slight_smile:

The connection between language and song is amazingly firm and somewhat eternal. I read Sanne’s response and immediately “Whats the buzz,tell me whats happening” started playing in my head. I haven’t heard the piece for 2 decades and now its stuck in my mind. looks like I must watch JC Superstar on amazon prime tonight. Thanks Sanne!!!

1 Like

Buzz can mean gossip, or a topic or subject that has everyone excited and talking about it.

(Think BuzzFeed having the “hottest, most social content on the web”.)

Another way word that is related to “buzz” is “hype”.

Hype can mean to promote something, possibly exaggerating about how great it is. Once someone has promoted something a little too much with flowery praise, people might get to wondering … “I hope this lives up to the hype.”

I think the author of this article is reworking that phrase to “I hope this lives up to the buzz” because the article is about honey, and buzz and hype are very close in meaning.

I think this is mostly an reworking on a phrase that the writer enjoyed. I don’t think you’ll run across it much in casual conversation unless your friend is a creative writer type person that likes playing with words.