Is it right?

Is it right?

What specifically is the question? Are you asking if the word ‘mechanics’ has been used appropriately in the sentence? If that is the quesiton, then the answer is yes. It is perfectly fine here. The sentence is

“You consciously studied the mechanics of English, as if it was a car.”

The word ‘mechanics’ is being used here to mean something like ‘the inner workings’. It is quite common to use the word in this way.

Collin,

I’m in doubt if “mechanics” can be used in plural sentences (“several mechanics”).

Thanks

In the sense used in the text, i.e, “inner workings” or “mechanism”, it won’t makes sense to use “several” or any other quantity related adjective, because it denotes the system as a whole.

However “mechanic” is also a countable noun meaning “a worker who works on a mechanical system”, like an auto mechanic. In this sense, you may see a sentence like “Several mechanics were working on the locomotive”.

I understood now. Thanks.

We have similar phrases based on “the inner workings” definition. I’m learning the “nuts and bolts” of English at LingQ. I’m learning the “ins and outs” of the English language.