What dose brilliant mean?

what dose brilliant mean ?

Brilliant means wonderful, superb, excellent. Something which usually exceeds ones expectations.
Not the word I use when baking Victoria sponges. :-/

Sue

If I bake a cake, it’s brilliant! :))) - because it would be very nearly a miracle. I can’t remember why I chose that word: @SueWt is quite right, normally I would not use brilliant for a cake! So, what does it or could it mean here? The speaker is very proud of this sponge cake, it’s a great cake, much better than expected.

I realise that this is not a brilliant explanation :slight_smile:

Brilliant is a word that British people seem to use A LOT. :wink:

So true. Brilliant is a brilliant word to use.

The American definition of, “Brilliant”, has two most often used meanings: 1, very bright and radiant. Example: The brilliant shine of a clean floor. And 2, smart or intelligent. Example: Your answer to the question was brilliant!

Hope that helps.

There is a television commercial here in the States where a British girl uses the word brilliant to describe breath mints. I think it is for Mentos, maybe. That use is not a typical use of the word in my experience. However, I understand what that she is trying to convey, I think in this place I would use the word wonderful.

My thought on this is the word is used more frequently and in a slightly different context in Britain than the States.

Isn’t this brilliant? The American contributions really show up the difference in usage. Great!

I remember seeing one of those small footballs that people use to practice their skillz in a sports shop once. The box had a picture of some famous Brazilian football player on it and in big letters it said “BECOME BRAZILIANT!”.

1 Like