Whats meens "err"? And especificly in this phase :"... it's

Whats meens “err”?
And especificly in this phase :"… it’s best to err on the side of being conservative.

In the word ‘mean,’ ‘a’ comes after ‘e.’ You erred in spelling.

“If you err on the side of caution, for example, you decide to act in a cautious way, rather than take risks.”–COBUILD

Yutaka gave you the links to the meaning of the verb. In context it means " it is better to be wrong and be conservative than…" I am assuming there is a comparison of some kind either before or after. It is not a simple construction but it is useful. Hope this helps !

It is best to make a mistake on the side of being conservative. Here’s a case where it would come up. I know that I need to buy candy for Halloween. I don’t know if 50 kids are coming to my house, or 75. I buy candy for 75 just in case. I know I will make a mistake: I will either have too much candy, or not enough candy. I wish to make the mistake which will cause me less pain. I will err on the side of being conservative, by buying 75 pieces. This way I am making sure I have plenty of candy and none of the children go away sad.

I think this particular phrase, “err on the side of” is probably the most common use of “err.” It’s not wrong to use in other ways. as in Yutaka’s example, but other words are more commonly used.

1 Like

“to err” means “to make a mistake” or “to make an error.” To “err on the side of [side/position/opinion]” means that when you are not sure which side/position/opinion is correct, you take that certain side/position/opinion.