"Eventually, Kevin gets off the bus. " Within this context,

"Eventually, Kevin gets off the bus. " Within this context, Does eventually mean, suddently?

Not the eventually question again??!! It keeps coming back like a bad penny :slight_smile: Eventually, we will all learn that eventually in English means most of the time something like “finally” or “in the end”.

Do you mean you could eventually have used the word “finally” instead of eventually, somewhere in your introduction answer?

Yes :slight_smile: In the context of your statement, the author could have used “Finally Kevin got off the bus…” and I could have used "In the end, we shall all have learned that eventually can often be replaced by either finally or in the end. But the “finally” eventually needs a time lapse element: “After a long bus journey Kevin got off. After a long wait it was my turn = Eventually, after a long wait, it is my turn.”

“Finally he said that he would give me the loan = at last he said he would give me the loan”.

But if you want to announce that you are coming to the end of your speech, for example, you cannot use “eventually”. "Finally I would like to stress that … “In closing I want to stress that …”

If you had used “evenutally” it would translate as “Ideally, I would like to stress…”, so it is hardly used that way these days.

1 Like