It looks like you are using an old version of Internet Explorer. Sorry, we only support IE 10 and above. To use the site you will need to use a more up to date browser. We strongly recommend you upgrade to:

what does " somewhat" means in Arabic language.

what does " somewhat" means in Arabic language.

In English, "somewhat" means "yes" or nothing at all.

For example:
A: Do you like popcorn?
B: Somewhat (= Yes.)

For example:
A. It is somewhat cold outside. (= It is cold outside.)
B. Yes, you're right. I'll get my coat/sweater/scarf.

It would be best to identify a sentence or larger context in which "someowhat" is used, then copy and paste the entire text into an automatic translator for translation into Arabic.

Good luck.

"In English, "somewhat" means "yes" or nothing at all."

What? No it doesn't...

It means "kind of".

B: Somewhat (= kind of (= It's not exactly my favourite thing but at the same time, I don't dislike it))

A: It is somewhat cold outside. (= It is kind of cold outside.)
B: Yes, you're right. I'll get my jacket, but not my gigantic, insulated winter jacket, because it's not that cold, it's just kind of cold.

I can't really think of an example were "somewhat" would not be synonymous with "kind of". "Somewhat" just sounds a little less casual, I guess.
If you can think of a situation were it wouldn't be "kind of", feel free to prove me wrong.
But telling people that "somewhat" means "yes" is just... wrong. Because... that's not what it means.

​I agree with lynkusu that "somewhat" can be equivalent to "kind of" however I disagree that my explanation is inaccurate or misleading with regard to the meaning.

(1)"It is somewhat ludicrous." = (2)"It is kind of ludicrous. = (3) "It is ludicrous."

(1) and (2) are less emphatic/less definitive than (3)

"Somewhat/Kind of" is less enthusiastic, not as strong as "Yes"
If someone uses the expression "somewhat" or "kind of" instead of "yes" it means the person using the expression is not willing to commit to a definitive, unqualified, "yes".
--------------

Returning to my original examples:

For example:
B: Somewhat (= Yes.)
B is replying with a "weak" yes, but it is yes nonetheless in my book.

For example:
A. It is somewhat cold outside. (= It is cold outside.) "A" for whatever reason is unwilling to be definitive and say "It is cold outside." Bottom line, however in both cases "A" is saying that it is cold outside, so it is as if "somewhat" does not change the temperature outside but it does seem to indicate A's reluctance to inform in a definitive way.
B. Yes, you're right. I'll get my coat/sweater/scarf.

----

There's another way of using 'somewhat' in the sense of 'kind of' and that is as an understatement. Minus 40 degrees? That's a bit chilly, isn't it? Yes, it's somewhat cold.

Actually, here in the UK we wouldn't use somewhat all that often in daily conversations, to my ears it sounds somewhat formal. I can follow @TeacherNia's simplification for beginners, but on the whole I am somewhat inclined to go with @lynkusu's definition.

To comment login or sign up for a free account