I'm from Missouri (?)

I happen to find the phrase in a vocabulary text book for English.
I would like to know if the phrase, ”I’m from Missouri"–a skeptic, one who is not easily convinced, is frequently used even today and we can use the term without ethical concerns?

I’m happy if someone help me. Thank you. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The phrase is used, even in Canada, but not that often. I think most people know what it means. This phrase raises no concerns.

1 Like

Steve, thank you very much for your quick answer! :slight_smile:
I am very interested that English has that kind of place-name-related phrases and saying, and sometimes I feel a bit afraid of ethical cord. However, I feel relieved to read your answer.
Thank you!

If this phrase were used, it would probably be used by a person FROM Missouri speaking about himself with a bit of pride!

2 Likes

This phrase is used by lots of people, not just people from Missouri. I even hear it here in Vancouver.

1 Like

Jingle and Steve, thank you for your additional information; “Who uses this phrase?”

I think when a person from Missouri uses it, she/he feels a bit of pride to show their prudence using their home-state name, and when a person from other than the state quotes the phrase, she/he wants to utilize the old wisdom (in 1899?) with a kind of respect.

It is very difficult but interesting for us (ELS learner) to use the idioms which include a special place name or country (e.g. “double Dutch”, “carry the coals to Newcastle”) :wink:

Just to throw in another native opinion – I’ve never heard or even heard of this. If someone said “I’m from Missouri”, I would assume they mean that they’re from Missouri…
Be careful using it, I guess, because if people don’t know the phrase, you’ll probably really confuse them…

More than likely, you won’t be understood. I would avoid it.

2 Likes

Iynkusu, kimojima, and Wulfgar, thank you very much for your comments.
They helped me understand the usage of the phrase. :slight_smile:

1. It’s all Greek to me.
  2. I am from Missouri.

If the first sentence is used by people from Greece, you will be confused, because Greek is their native tongue.
If the second sentence is used by people from Missouri, you will not be confused. But, you might wonder what they want to say.
Am I right?

If Mr. Scrooge introduces himself saying he is Mr. Scrooge, will you be confused?

I think your confused Yutaka. It’s Greek to me- “its incomprehensible” is very common, to anyone who watches a lot of American tv or movies. I’m from Missouri not so much. You really need to hear these sayings in context. The tone of the person, did people laugh, there facial expressions, some of these nuances of the language can only be acquired over a very long period of ex-poser to movies, tv, radio real communication etc.

I wonder whether @Yutaka was playing with words again?

It would, indeed, be rather unusual to hear “It’s all Greek to me” said by a Greek. And if someone from Missouri said “I’m from Missouri”, most of us would simply accept it at face value - unless they were members of LingQ who now know all about the Show-Me-State and in that case we’d know that the speaker expects something more from us to convince him or her.

2 Likes